Menu

Lifting questions

Mama Geek

I got through my first night at the gym and won't actually see a personal trainer until Tuesday.

I am pretty overweight and have problems with planter fascitis.

What is a good cycle? How many days a week do you go to the gym, do you do everything each time and take a day or 2 off or do you go most days and alternate which groups of muscles you work? I asked about a low glycemic index diet while working out and the guy showing me the machines was pretty clueless. He handed me a sheet of paper and said eat these foods, it was low fat and high carb which is very different from a low glycemic index diet. Is low glycemic index going to be something I can do while lifting weights? Any advice would be helpful.

This book is a fabulous guide to weight lifting: http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Health-Big-Book-Exercises/dp/1605295493

The chapters are broken down by body part and it is full of explanations, tips, and pictures. At the end of each chapter there is a "best" exercise for that body part and a "best stretch as well as a short workout for that body part. At the end of the book there are a few total body workouts laid out for you (my favorite part!).

I could go on forever about this. I wish I had more time right now.

I stick with lifts and presses that engage most of your body. Romanian dead lifts wtih dumbells, heavy squats with a barbell, shoulder presses sitting upright, bench press on incline/flat. And walking lunges. I use a 60 pound barbell no joke, and go down and back the isle, 3 sets. That's about 40 steps each. I started out thinking I would die doing 10 steps holding a 10 pound dumbell. These things give you the most bang for your buck. Avoid the "arms one day, chest one day, back one day, and so on. I have a pull up bar in my door way and do that at home. I would say 3 days a week is good. Don't be a slave to cardio. 10 minutes at the end of weights, something like that. Change it up. Run sprints, go for walks. Don't get on the eliptical and look like you are going to make it take off and fly out the door. When you put on some muscle, your body needs more calories to sustain it, so that is why "muscle burns fat" is true. Now if you eat just a bit less you are really in the calorie deficit and weight starts coming off. And it's so good for bone density. When you lift weights and tear down your muscles, and give them ample time to recover they become stronger and your bones have to compensate by becoming stronger too.

When I go to the gym, first day I may do:

Heavy squats with barbell - heavy as in 1 or 2 lighter sets of 15, and then 3 more sets pyramiding up in weight in the 6-10 range. Then I will superset (meaning do right after) shoulder press. So it goes squat, shoulder press, repeat for 4 sets. So you work your legs, then something else. You keep up the momentum and get more in a shorter time. Then I'll move on to walking lunges. I'll do those, take a minute to catch my breathe, and do some bench press, alternating those two. Then I will walk on the treadmill on incline at a slower pace like hiking for 10 minutes. Then done. I'm in and out in 45 minutes tops.

Take a couple days off and next day I'll do bench press, more squats, and some rows which are good for a strong back. I do a lot of pull ups and dips. They are killer all around. You can start with negatives, but body weight exercises are really good to do. You basically jump up, and lower slowly until you can do them fully.

You just have to walk in like you own the joint, and don't let people intimidate you or get in your way. I am only at the gym 2 times a week, but I exercise a bit at home by walking, and doing pullups/pushups.

I hate to say it but I've never agreed with a trainer and especially their diet plans. Eat real food, not too much, mostly plants. And don't try to fit yourself in to a box. You have to find what works for you and what makes you feel good. Pain = bad. You will be a little sore at first but you shouldn't be asking for death. I see idiots limping around saying they had a really good back day yesterday. Um, no. You put one too many plates on that rack and tried to kill yourself LOL.

I will also add that some pilates or yoga never hurts. I NEED that too. Keeps me flexible and I recover very quick from a hard workout.

This book changed my life. Literally. If you want pratical help and specific weight lifting exercise, this is it. Plus, there are down-to-earth diet suggestions. I have friends who have used this book too with amazing result. Maybe see if your library has it before you buy it.

The routine that works best for me is weight lifting 3 days per week with cardio on the off days, for a total of 5-6 days of exercise each week. Intervals are also better than steady state cardio, and free weights are better than machines. This book uses free weights almost exclusively.

So proud of you!!!

51KdsXvCQML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

So, the answer is really "whatever works for YOU". I tend to be the trainer who "specializes" in the "medically challenging" set at work; I'm comfortable with the groups that have graduated from cardiac rehab, have had joint replacements, etc., while some of my colleagues have more of a focus in competitive and sports training. (I, like them, am a generalist, but my other experience just makes me the trainer for that population)

Anyway... the first thing I would ask is: what do you want out of your routine? Are you looking for overall fitness, toning, building muscle, increasing strength, competitive body building? All of those are products of lifting, but your primary focus will change how you do things somewhat. It will go from low weight with multiple sets of high repetitions, to high weight and a single or couple sets of 1-3 reps, or somewhere in between.

The next thing I always ask is: how often do you want to do strength training? If you plan to be in 5 days a week, then your routine will differ from 3 days a week. If you are pressed for time, my advice is going to be different than if you have a solid block set aside a few days a week. I am a huge fan of the big, compound movements 425lisamarie described, especially when time is at a premium.

Machines are great in that they are easy to learn how to use, neatly laid out in a circuit, and lock you into a single plane of motion. They are sort of rubbish for the same reasons. People tend to get into ruts on them. You can only do a biceps or hamstring curl one way on them. I can't tell you how many I see doing the same circuit, at the same weights, that I started them out on in their wellness consultation 2 years ago. It's not a challenge for them anymore, but they never move that pin to the next weight.

As for cardio... well, I usually do 30-45 minutes before I lift, if I'm doing cardio that day. I (generally speaking) lift heavy, and when I'm done, I am DONE. So I do all the cardio first or it simply won't get done. Otherwise, a few minutes of warmup is fine, and you can do the rest after lifting.

There are some great workout splits on bodybuilding.com. I use them when I get into a rut, or I'll switch up and do a Tabata session with much lower weights than I normally lift... It's always amazing how hard body weight drop squats are when you're doing them for 4 minutes (20 seconds on, 10 rest, 8 sets), even though I generally squat 150-200 lbs in multiple sets in the cage. It's just a different workout, and the muscles get t.i.r.e.d!

So, really, the "right" workout approach is the one that meets your needs, both for goals and schedule, not mine, not anyone else's. If you give us an idea of how you want to work, and what you want to get out of it, I'm sure we can get you started with some ideas.

(And try not to be too hard on the guy who did your consultation. My guess is that he's a "wellness coach", or your facility's equivalent, and just simply not qualified to give dietary advice. His job is to make sure you know how to handle the equipment safely. ;) )

eta: you may also want to check out FitnessBlender.com for their routines, which are all body weight or lighter hand weights (as opposed to BB.com, which generally is free weight)

So, the answer is really "whatever works for YOU". I tend to be the trainer who "specializes" in the "medically challenging" set at work; I'm comfortable with the groups that have graduated from cardiac rehab, have had joint replacements, etc., while some of my colleagues have more of a focus in competitive and sports training. (I, like them, am a generalist, but my other experience just makes me the trainer for that population)

Anyway... the first thing I would ask is: what do you want out of your routine? Are you looking for overall fitness, toning, building muscle, increasing strength, competitive body building?

Ideally I would like overall fitness, building muscle, increasing strength and weight loss, probably with weight loss being at the top of the list for now. I figure if I can start dropping weight I will feel better and be more active and have more energy outside of the gym.

All of those are products of lifting, but your primary focus will change how you do things somewhat. It will go from low weight with multiple sets of high repetitions, to high weight and a single or couple sets of 1-3 reps, or somewhere in between.

The next thing I always ask is: how often do you want to do strength training? If you plan to be in 5 days a week, then your routine will differ from 3 days a week. If you are pressed for time, my advice is going to be different than if you have a solid block set aside a few days a week. I am a huge fan of the big, compound movements 425lisamarie described, especially when time is at a premium.

This is the one thing that I will be doing just for me. I am willing to spend an hour a night 5 or 6 days a week, but 3 is OK too. My guess is if I am doing it 5 or 6 days a week it will become a habit much quicker than if I were only going 3 days a week.

Machines are great in that they are easy to learn how to use, neatly laid out in a circuit, and lock you into a single plane of motion. They are sort of rubbish for the same reasons. People tend to get into ruts on them. You can only do a biceps or hamstring curl one way on them. I can't tell you how many I see doing the same circuit, at the same weights, that I started them out on in their wellness consultation 2 years ago. It's not a challenge for them anymore, but they never move that pin to the next weight.

Other than when working out with a trainer I wouldn't be working out with anyone else at this time. My dh will be home with my dd and I still don't know anyone really in the area. My guess is this makes the machines a better choice for now but I don't know that.

As for cardio... well, I usually do 30-45 minutes before I lift, if I'm doing cardio that day. I (generally speaking) lift heavy, and when I'm done, I am DONE. So I do all the cardio first or it simply won't get done. Otherwise, a few minutes of warmup is fine, and you can do the rest after lifting.

I like the idea of doing cardio before lifting because my understanding is that the lifting afterwards will increase the benefits of the cardio workout.

There are some great workout splits on bodybuilding.com. I use them when I get into a rut, or I'll switch up and do a Tabata session with much lower weights than I normally lift... It's always amazing how hard body weight drop squats are when you're doing them for 4 minutes (20 seconds on, 10 rest, 8 sets), even though I generally squat 150-200 lbs in multiple sets in the cage. It's just a different workout, and the muscles get t.i.r.e.d!

One concern I have with some of the full body exercises is that they seem really hard on my legs. Especially with the weight I am currently at. I have some problems with plantar fascitis which is doing ok right now, but I don't want to get back to where I can't hardly walk without pain again.

So, really, the "right" workout approach is the one that meets your needs, both for goals and schedule, not mine, not anyone else's. If you give us an idea of how you want to work, and what you want to get out of it, I'm sure we can get you started with some ideas.

(And try not to be too hard on the guy who did your consultation. My guess is that he's a "wellness coach", or your facility's equivalent, and just simply not qualified to give dietary advice. His job is to make sure you know how to handle the equipment safely. ;) )

The guy doing the consultation was new there and they had new recumbent bikes that he wasn't familiar with. Of course that is the equipment he put me on.

I will be working on my diet too. I am going to do go forward with a low glycemic index diet. I have lost weight on it before and the food is something that I feel I can live with.

Posted Today, 07:48 AM

snapback.pngMyCrazyHouse, on 07 December 2012 - 07:26 AM, said:

Anyway... the first thing I would ask is: what do you want out of your routine? Are you looking for overall fitness, toning, building muscle, increasing strength, competitive body building?

Ideally I would like overall fitness, building muscle, increasing strength and weight loss, probably with weight loss being at the top of the list for now. I figure if I can start dropping weight I will feel better and be more active and have more energy outside of the gym.

All of those are products of lifting, but your primary focus will change how you do things somewhat. It will go from low weight with multiple sets of high repetitions, to high weight and a single or couple sets of 1-3 reps, or somewhere in between.

This is the one thing that I will be doing just for me. I am willing to spend an hour a night 5 or 6 days a week, but 3 is OK too. My guess is if I am doing it 5 or 6 days a week it will become a habit much quicker than if I were only going 3 days a week.

Ok, then I would probably say start with a 3-day split for resistance training, and do cardio or a class or whatever inspires you on the "between" days.

In which case, you probably want to do full body each time. You can do the circuit, or take a strength training class, or whatever to accomplish that. Generally, I have people start doing circuit weights with 2 sets of 12 (30 second rest between sets) at a weight that you cannot finish the second set. Like you literally cannot make your muscles push that bar up another time, not just getting hard to do it. You want failure. (No worries, they'll come back after a minute) If you can do the second set, you need to up the weight. How much depends on the exercise itself: you only need to adjust 5 lbs on a chest press, but 20 or more on the leg press. Women don't have great upper body strength and we build it more slowly than lower. Keep a log so you can remember what you're doing, note when you need to increase the next time, and see your progress laid out.

And BREATHE. I try to remind people: EXhale with EXertion. (meaning: exhale as you engage in the curl, press, etc, inhale as you return to start position. It also helps moderate your rhythm, since hyperventilating is uncomfortable. ;) )

Other than when working out with a trainer I wouldn't be working out with anyone else at this time. My dh will be home with my dd and I still don't know anyone really in the area. My guess is this makes the machines a better choice for now but I don't know that.

Um, yes and no. Even in the free weights and cables, you don't really need a spotter unless you're going heavy. But dumbbells, barbells and cables all allow you to work the same muscle in a slightly different way. So, where you can do an arm curl only one way on a machine, you can do a straight arm curl, hammer curl, cross-body, etc with dumbbells. They're just variations and still all work your biceps, just in slightly different motions. It helps keep the muscle from becoming very efficient doing one motion. There's no inherent right or wrong, but you're likely to get into a rut (not to mention bored) using machines only, over a long time. Just something to keep in mind.

I like the idea of doing cardio before lifting because my understanding is that the lifting afterwards will increase the benefits of the cardio workout.

Meh, I don't know about that. They just do slightly different things that all contribute to overall fitness. Before/after/split is really just personal preference. That's mine, but lots of people warm up, lift, then finish off with a long, sometimes very intense cardio session, and he guys who lift competitively wouldn't waste a gram of energy on something passé like cardio.

One concern I have with some of the full body exercises is that they seem really hard on my legs. Especially with the weight I am currently at. I have some problems with plantar fascitis which is doing ok right now, but I don't want to get back to where I can't hardly walk without pain again.

Compound exercises don't have to be hard on the legs and feet but, yes, their general nature makes them lean that way, just because they aim to use multiple muscle groups. A straight leg deadlift targets the glutes and hamstrings. A straight leg deadlift with a row in the down position also targets your biceps, rear deltoids, trapezius, and latissimus dorsi. That makes it a compound move, but it's no harder on your feet. Likewise, a clean and press is compound - you move from a low squat, dragging weights up to thigh level like a bent knee deadlift, jerk them up to chest height, and press them overhead - but your feet are stationary and you can do the move with 3# dumbbells. It doesn't need to be Olympic material. Just be cognizant of what kinds of stress bothers your feet, then see if you can do that sort of movement more gently and be ok, or if you need to avoid it altogether.

The guy doing the consultation was new there and they had new recumbent bikes that he wasn't familiar with. Of course that is the equipment he put me on.

I have a love/hate relationship with those bikes. They're great for people who have severe balance issues, or have knee problems (sometimes the motion of pedaling is better or worse with angle), or are so medically fragile that I'd like them to be seated for very gentle cardio (one step up from a cycle ergometer)... Otherwise, I put people on something else. You don't come to the gym to sit on your arse and watch Food Network, you know? And, honestly, I think they tend to make people relax and pedal in a rather leisurely manner. For reasonably mobile people with no such issues, I go for ellipticals, adaptive motion trainers, spinning bikes (or even just upright cardio bikes) or rowing machines (big, compound cardio movement, but low impact). (I'm not a huge fan of treadmills, either, but that's a whole different discussion)

I will be working on my diet too. I am going to do go forward with a low glycemic index diet. I have lost weight on it before and the food is something that I feel I can live with.

If that works for you and you feel good and are getting adequate nutrition, then I'd say enjoy it. I don't think diet is a one size fits all, so it's more about what works for your body, primarily for adequate nutrition (too many diet plans cut out too much quality food, IMO), and without making you feel like you're a prisoner to food.

eta: The biggest thing to remember is fitness is a moving target. The goal is to keep the challenge level the same; once you reach a short-term target, you have to move it forward. When you're no longer struggling forward, you're just engaging in a fun, physical activity. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it's different than an activity with a fitness goal. ;)