Menu

Heating vent

A.Balaban

My daughter dropped her blanket down the heating vent in her bedroom - lifted it right off and stuffed it down. It's a vertical chute and I can see the blanket stuck at some point about 10+ feet below me.

I have no idea what to do to get it out. We have gas heat. I turned the heat off (I think) but I'm still worried. Is this fire risk? What can I do? Should I ask my DH to come home? I am freaking out.

As long as the heat is turned off I wouldn't worry. Do you have a vacuum with a long hose and enough suction to grab it and pull it up? I have a central vac with a long hose so I think that's the first thing I'd try.

It will be worth a try but I don't think the hose is long enough. Dh doesn't get home until midnight.

My dh says not to worry. The heat can run, it's not any different than closing off the register.

To get it out he suggests using a snake (the thing that unclogs drains) with a hook attached. When you crank on it, it will twist and should catch on the blanket.

My dh says not to worry. The heat can run, it's not any different than closing off the register.

To get it out he suggests using a snake (the thing that unclogs drains) with a hook attached. When you crank on it, it will twist and should catch on the blanket.

I managed to get the blanket out using a combination of two brooms, a fishing pole, and a wire hanger....but of course, I looked back down there and I can see more stuff. Apparently DD has been shoving stuff down there for quite some time. I can see diapers, a wrapped chocolate bar (from my secret stash), and a wooden jewlery box. :svengo:

Need to wait for my heartrate to return to normal now.

Guest inoubliable

Glad to hear you got the blanket out! I'm sure things would have been okay until your DH could get home and help you out, but I can see how that would have worried you until then!

I managed to get the blanket out using a combination of two brooms, a fishing pole, and a wire hanger....but of course, I looked back down there and I can see more stuff. Apparently DD has been shoving stuff down there for quite some time. I can see diapers, a wrapped chocolate bar (from my secret stash), and a wooden jewlery box. :svengo:

Glad you got the blanket out but . . . oh my! Time to screw the register down after that's cleaned up I guess! Yikes!

Glad it is out. Time to buy some wood screws and get that puppy fastened down.

You can screw it down? It's on carpet? I will have to look closely... DH was saying something about hardware cloth or something I don't know. the kids shoved more stuff down there today (we went to Home Depot the other night, but it was Sunday, and they closed at 7pm... we walked in at like 6:55pm....)

Edit: yep, you can. I am so oblivious... :p