Menu

Question about new health insurance law and pre-existing condition

Jenny in GA

As I've mentioned here before, health care costs are just killing our family (see recent "nothing for Christmas" thread). Between insurance premiums and routine costs for doctor visits and meds, we are paying about $1700/month, and I don't know how much longer we can continue to live like this.

I've been told to "hang in there" til 2014 when "ObamaCare" means my family can shop for health insurance despite my pre-existing condition.

Does anyone has any information how that will work, exactly? Specifically ... does that mean health insurance companies will say to me, "Yes, we can sell you a policy now, and it will cost your family $1500/month for it"??? Because that certainly won't do us any good.

So, what does that mean exactly, to say they can no longer deny people like me? That people like me will be insured, but get horrendously crappy coverage? Or outrageous premiums?

Or will we be treated like everybody else? And does that mean everybody will have outrageous premiums and crappy coverage?

My understanding is that they will be unable to charge more for people with pre-existing conditions, and policies offered under the exchange must be comparable to the better private policies available. Hang in there.

Have you worked with an independent insurance broker? There are insurance guys who work independently of any one insurance company who help individuals and small businesses find policies-- even pregnant women, fr example, who need the pregnancy covered-- and who try to work with tough situations like pre-existings. Sometimes they can find a "group" for you to join that you didn't know about or something. Since they don't get paid unless they find you a policy you are happy with and can manage, they work pretty hard to make it happen.

Good luck. High medical costs add so much stress!

My understanding is that they will be unable to charge more for people with pre-existing conditions, and policies offered under the exchange must be comparable to the better private policies available. Hang in there.

Have you worked with an independent insurance broker?

I hope you're right. Does anyone know of an official link or something that describes this for sure?

I have spoken to independent brokers several times. I was told I was "uninsurable" and "no insurance company will touch you."

There is no guarantee about costs right now. I guess the only thing is to see what happens when the law goes in effect. This is the part about pre-existing conditions:

SEC. 2705 [42 U.S.C. 300gg–4]. PROHIBITING DISCRIMINATION AGAINST INDIVIDUAL PARTICIPANTS AND BENE- FICIARIES BASED ON HEALTH STATUS.

‘‘(a) IN GENERAL.—A group health plan and a health insurance issuer offering group or individual health insurance coverage may not establish rules for eligibility (including continued eligibility) of any individual to enroll under the terms of the plan or coverage based on any of the following health status-related factors in relation to the individual or a dependent of the individual:

‘‘(1) Health status.

‘‘(2) Medical condition (including both physical and mental illnesses).

‘‘(3) Claims experience.

‘‘(4) Receipt of health care.

‘‘(5) Medical history.

‘‘(6) Genetic information.

‘‘(7) Evidence of insurability (including conditions arising out of acts of domestic violence).

‘‘(8) Disability.

‘‘(9) Any other health status-related factor determined appropriate by the Secretary.

Take a look at this http://www.pciplan.c...s/states/GA.asp assuming that you are still in GA. They have a similar thing for Florida as well.

Thanks. Just FYI for anyone else, PCIP is only for people who have not had any health insurance for six months. In other words, Id have to completely drop my coverage, then wait half a year before I could enroll, and thats not really a viable option for me.

Thanks. Just FYI for anyone else, PCIP is only for people who have not had any health insurance for six months. In other words, Id have to completely drop my coverage, then wait half a year before I could enroll, and thats not really a viable option for me.

Exactly. For one minute, I considered dropping insurance for 6 months, but I'm going to endure. We have paid so much that I think we should continue through 2013.