Menu

High School Writing Course

I am having so much trouble finding a writing course our teen daughter does not get frustrated with and can actually learn well from. I have seen a lot of recommendations for The Lively Art of Writing and would like some comments on this. Also, I have seen that Still Waters who posts on this site has a workbook she made to go with this writing book. Can anyone tell me how I can contact Still Waters and get this workbook? I have tried using IEW's writing materials with our daughter and she does not like them. I have also tried using Jensen's Format Writing and she is not doing so well with that. She has an awful time trying to find a topic she thinks she can write on for the assignments. But I am really interested in learning how to get the workbook created by this homeschooling mother for The Lively Art of Writing. Thank you!

Hi,

Here is the link to the workbook. If you go to the second page, you'll find Mjbucks1 Michelle's website.

Click on the language arts tab at the very top.

My 9th grade daughter is using Lively Art of writing. We like it and the workbook is helpful because all of the assignments are written in

there. The assignments do use out of date topics, like drag racing, so sometimes we make up our own topics.

Hope that helps!

Pauline

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/387632-freeuploaded-schedulesworkbooks/

We've used Write At Home and I'm not too keen on it. There is not much in the way of instruction and each coach has their own style. Just two weeks ago, my kids were both corrected for making opposite errors. One coach wanted the student to do the very thing the other was being corrected for. All that to say, I'm in the market, as well.

I had never heard of Bravewriter before as a writing course until I got on this forum looking for help for high school writing. I decided to try to find it on the internet, but I would like to hear more about it from some of you homeschoolers who have used it or are still using it. Could you share your experience with this course and tell me how it works? Also, any reviews of it would be helpful for me as well.

We\re using LAoW and my daughter has similar issues at times. We spend a lot of time discussing subjects that are of high interest to her or that she knows a lot about - video games, certain novels, chickens, etc. As we discuss them we pull out possible theses and talk about supporting points and such. I look at the book as a good guide but not a checklist to good writing where she just has to plow through it to become a decent writer. It's going to take us much longer to get through it doing it this way but I she'll get much more out of it.

Maybe I just need to find a writing course for homeschoolers with a good writing teacher who our daughter could work with online or something. I think she might respond better to the feedback of another person. She moaned at first about the writing class on essay writing she decided to take through our homeschool co-op this semester, but she had a very helpful and encouraging teacher who really challenged and motivated her for that particular class.

I've been using the Lost Tools of Writing this year with my 8th grader. I am starting to really like it. It gives a 'sample' of how to do everything in it using the Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, but you can use the same method with any book your student is reading. So it is easy to come up with a topic.