Menu

Graham cracker gingerbread house

Night Elf

Someone mentioned this in another thread. It's using graham crackers to make a gingerbread house. I've been watching tutorials online and I think I can do this! But how long do these things last? Is this something I make closer to Christmas or can I do it now? What do you do with it when you're finished? I'm thinking of just leaving it on our table as a decoration. I can't imagine actually eating it after taking so much time to decorate it! :)

I've made these a bunch of times. They last as long as you want. You don't eat them. Have you ever tasted a day old, sitting out in the air graham cracker? Yuck!

The really good glue to hold them together is stiff egg whites and cream of tartar. You'd have to google the recipe, but it works great. However it does dry kind of clear so you'd need royal frosting or regular frosting to give it that snow and icicle look.

The biggest problem I've had is finding enough graham crackers in a box that aren't cracked or broken. And then you run the risk of breaking more as you cut them to make the front and back house peaks. But by the time you are done you have plenty of graham crackers to use as crumbs for pie or cheesecake, so plan accordingly!

http://swimtaxi234.blogspot.com/2011/12/annual-gingerbread-house-party.html

We like to host parties every year (blog post from last year's party).

I am having a Gingerbread House Decorating Party this year and am so excited. It will be an Open House where people can just drop by. The houses will already be made ahead of time, then guests can just show up and decorate them. Someone had done this where I used to live and I always thought it was a great idea. :D

My older kid's elementary school used to have a gingerbread house making party every December. It was a lot of fun. They saved (and washed) those small milk cartons from the school lunch room to use for a base. It worked well for impatient 5-10 year olds. I think they got donations from grocery stores for all the other stuff for them.

ETA

We took a picture. The kids wouldn't leave them alone long enough to be a table decoration.