Menu

does anyone here use a pressure canner?

mytwomonkeys

i just received mine today. i purchased a presto 23 quart. i am canning chicken right now (after reading the manual and watching 50 youtube videos). i'd love more ideas and recipes. i did order the ball canning book & should receive it soon.

in the meantime, do you have any favorite youtube channels you watch, blogs you visit, or tried and true recipes that you love? i'm very excited to use this thing!!

thanks! :)

i just received mine today. i purchased a presto 23 quart. i am canning chicken right now (after reading the manual and watching 50 youtube videos). i'd love more ideas and recipes. i did order the ball canning book & should receive it soon.

in the meantime, do you have any favorite youtube channels you watch, blogs you visit, or tried and true recipes that you love? i'm very excited to use this thing!!

thanks! :)

I have a Presto too. One thing to watch out for: cooking time. There's a recipe in their book for cooking a whole chicken. I followed it perfectly but my chicken wasn't cooked enough. I had to throw it into the oven immediately to finish cooking.

I do it all the time, it's easy. Once you get over your fear, it is alot better. :D

I pressure can chicken, beef, pork-- you name it, I've probably canned it. LOL

When I needed to empty a freezer, I canned everything in it. **One word of advice-- if you think of pressure canning as a backup option in case of power outage (long term) so that the meat doesn't spoil, dont wait until the power outage to get started. It took me 2 weeks of almost constant canning to empty the deep freezer. And alot of water, cans, lids, and the power (gas) to run the canner.

I do it all the time, it's easy. Once you get over your fear, it is alot better. :D

I'm still not over the fear. :) I've canned chicken, chicken broth, & beans in mine and followed directions precisely. But when I opened the jars to use, I boiled everything for 10 minutes. Just in case. :D

I think Alenee might be referring to a pressure cooker??

I have the same Presto canner as you. I just did 16 pints of beans the other day. I soak the dry ones overnight, cook the next day for 30 minutes (simmer) and then can them up per the manual that came with it.

I did a bunch of Italian sausage that was getting ready to get freezer burned. I sliced it about 1/3 inch wide and packed it up into pints. I do that w/kielbasa too. It comes out browned and sooo much better (to me) than just warmed up kielbasa.

I've done potatoes but I don't love boiled potatoes and that's what they taste like. They fry up great though.

I've done all the regular veggies and some citrus and pineapple.

I do lots of homemade broth. I've done chunked up ham, ground beef, shredded beef, dry nuts. I have not tried fish. Just can't do it.

Chili is good and stews.

I love to can even though it's a lot of work. There is something satisfying about having a pantry full of good food and from my organic garden.

Fish is easy and it is SOOOOOO good!