Menu

So Mike's lemonade came up at work today.

I looked out of curiousity (my taste isn't oriented that way at all), and they're not cheap. Of course my wine isn't either I guess if you price it per glass ;).

But occasionally I'll branch out. In Canada Mike's even comes in a low calorie version (although my husband thinks there's something wrong with that).

okay, why vodka in Canada and malt in US?

(says she who hasn't tried either...)

This is a guess, but at least here in Ontario, you can only buy alcoholic beverages in government-regulated stores (LCBO: Liquor Control Board of Ontario or "The Beer Store" for beer (yes, that's the actual store name)). In the US, you can often buy wine and beer in grocery stores. So by making Mikes (and other similar beverages) with malt, they can be sold in a wider range of outlets as a beer product.

Or maybe it has to do with Canadian's more discerning tastes :)

When I was living in the ATL, one of my Canadian friends would bring me down the legal import limit of Mikes in her luggage, all duct taped up, whenever she came to visit. Love 'er.

That makes sense. But it depends on WHERE you are in the states. In one state I lived in, you could buy beer and anything else in the grocery. Here in PA, you have to go to a state licensed shop. Some are only licensed for beer and wine coolers. Others are licensed for wine and hard liquor.