Menu

Christmas gifts for ds16

This got long, Sorry!

I can't believe this is an actual dilemma but we're having a problem. Ds16 has only one gift on his wish list. It's a $15 video game. He is actually depressed that he cannot think of another single thing. We ran through a long list of possibilities last night and he said no to everything.

Ideas we kicked around:

graphic tshirts with video game slogans

books

DVDs of favorite movies or shows (Netflix has all Mythbusters so he feels it's not a good idea to buy them)

Hoodies/light jackets

Lego kits (his 6 ft. table is packed so there's no more room for even a small kit)

new bedding (he hates change and sees no reason for new stuff when his is still perfectly fine)

new headphones (his work well and they are comfortable)

We cannot afford the new Wii-U system and he owns almost all other game systems.

video games (he usually has a list of game he wants but he really has nothing in mind right now)

My mom is getting him an itunes card. My MIL is giving him a check.

I'm thinking of a coffee table book for WW1 and WW2. He won't read a regular book but I thought one with lots of pictures would be okay.

I found a 1000 piece Civil War jigsaw puzzle.

He has absolutely no interest in sports of any kind.

Can you think of other items I could consider? He does like puzzles. He has a Nintendo DS crossword/anagram puzzle that he really likes. Maybe some other word puzzle games for different game systems or computer?

I have about 10 items for his sister even though some of them are small like personalized sticky notes and Doctor Who socks. Ds16 doesn't do anything like that.

I'm in the same situation with my 16 year old. He can't think of anything to ask for. He freely admits that it is because he is so spoiled and has every material thing anyone could wish for including money in the bank to buy more.

Upon hearing this, I told him to give me 5 for reaching my life's ambition of spoiling him.

He refused because he isn't sure that is something I should be proud of.

Rotten kid!

Dh will take him clothes shopping so he has something to open on Christmas Day. That will probably be all he gets.

Does he have any tools? If not, a Leatherman Multi-tool is a good place to start.

I have a teen son that is a minimalist kind of kid so I don't sweat it anymore. I get him whatever he wants that is affordable, and give the rest in cash for him to use at a later time.

Short list here from my 16 yo too.

Here's his list: A new pair of boots (Justin ropers), Carhart Jacket, Mike/headphone set for playing D&D (or chatting w/ girlfriend most likely), Cash, car, airsoft BBs, laptop, ipod 4 or 3, Xbox 360. Oh, and he wants some sheepskin slippers, but didn't put them on the list. Everything in purple isn't going to happen, so really, I only have a short list. I do always get him books, but have no idea what to get him this year. Costco had some hardback collections (like Jules Verne, Poe, Twain, etc.) but they were printed n China so I refused to buy them.

So far I have the jacket, a Mike Rowe t-shirt that he really wanted, and a pair of Angry Birds boxer style sleep shorts. I might get him a gc for the boots. We tried to get him boots last year, but couldn't find anything in his size.

My ds is the same, he could not think of anything he really wanted. He said there is just nothing out there worth getting. I decided on the following:

A few video games he has his eye on

A remote control helicopter

A set of books he is always checking out of the library

A hand held video camera...the cheap ones ($50), so he could play around with it

A kit to make a trebuchet

Edit: I forgot to add I bought him a Survival Guide for Zombie Attacks....found it at B&N and what I read was funny.

Okay, I found some stuff. Yay!

A 1000 piece Civil War scene jigsaw puzzle

A Mythbusters daily box calendar

Two graphic tshirts of his favorite video games

We sat and looked at the Lego site today. He's not sure he wants a new kit. I absolutely love the 1962 Volkswagon Camper Van but he isn't interested. I'm going to take him to the video game store to see if anything leaps out at him. Also, I realized that with his braces, I can't fill his stocking with his favorite candies. I'm going with chocolate like Kisses, Crunch bars and Hersheys. Poor guy! I hope this Christmas isn't pitiful.

I love the remote control helicopter idea. Very cool!