Menu

Hobbit study guide

I've found the free Hobbit Literary Guild Page one to be quite helpful. The "optional activities" haven't appealed to us at all, but we've enjoyed the rest. We do the questions orally.

The lectures from the Mythgard Institute have really added to our study.

There are more ideas in a sampling of what our Hobbit study has looked like on our blog.

This guide is often recommended on this board, but I have no experience with it.

While it's a secular guide, it is quite meaty: the Garlic Press publishers' Discovering Literature guide. We have enjoyed several other Garlic Press lit. guides.

There is also a Christian guide to The Hobbit from Progeny Press.

Here's a free online guide from Houghton-Mifflin. And free in-depth lesson plans, also from Houghton-Mifflin. Scroll down and click on Unit 1 (intro to Tolkien), Unit 2 (first half of The Hobbit), and Unit 3 (last half of The Hobbit).

Also, check out this recent thread (especially lisabees' post), for more ideas. Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thanks for all the great ideas ladies. I have two students currently reading the Hobbit and I now have one using the Literary Guild page and one using the Mythgard Institute lectures. What great resources for free.

I've found the free Hobbit Literary Guild Page one to be quite helpful. The "optional activities" haven't appealed to us at all, but we've enjoyed the rest. We do the questions orally.

I'm starting to research next year's lit choices and can't decide which Hobbit study guide to use. This year we're enjoying memoria press' guides. Does anyone have a favorite?

We love the lectures from Mythgard aka Cory Olsen. You might also look for the fantasy lecture series Rings, Swords and Monsters by Michael Drout. Our library had this and it was a big hit.

Personally I like The Hobbit so much that I don't want to work it to death. Background and some analysis yes. Vocab quizzes and writing assignments no.

Ymmv

We (dd9 and I) just began reading The Hobbit (finished chpt 1) so our timing on this board is perfect. I am not sure how much we will "study" the book (depends on how much my dd wants to dive in) however the free online discussion questions look interesting. I had not planned The Hobbit as a read this year and my dd already has been assigned the Swiss Family Robinson (class) but we can do a light run through of the Hobbit. I do plan for us to read through D'Aulaires' Books of Norse Myths so she can get a deeper appreciation of Tolkien's use of Norse myths in the book. We began listening to the Mythgard lectures this morning and my daughter enjoyed it. I think I will look for the annotated version of the Hobbit at the library too. I would love to keep this thread alive by sharing projects/ideas as other's experience them.

There are more ideas in a sampling of what our Hobbit study has looked like on our blog.

This guide is often recommended on this board, but I have no experience with it.

So going to be visiting your (edited to add "r" - always miss that key stroke) blog A LOT!! Love what you guys are doing!!!