Menu

Literature & World Geography

Mom2OandE

I have a sick day today and dh took the kids on a field trip. It's giving me some alone time to decide how to handle next school year. It looks like dh is going to be getting a new job but it's with a huge paycut for the first year so I need to get creative. I was more or less planning on MFW next year but instead think I may want to pursue teaching geography/history from a literature stand point. We are doing the US this year so I'm looking for a broader world view. I am going to check out the Trail Guide as well. I need literature ideas! Obviously Around the World in 80 days, what other titles might be good to make my own world geography? Thanks.

You can read "How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World." It is a picture book that I think is generally recommended for younger kids. But, I know my boys would love finding the places on a map and making a pie. I would extend the book by learning more about each country in the order presented in the book and about the ingredient found there. To me this could be a several week process and we would go back to re-read the book several times.

I always read folktales of the country we're studying. I try to do geography in an integrated way also. So for US folktale obviously you would read the tall tales, Sea To Shining Sea, learn some of the songs and read various Native American folktales. Holling C Holling books are great as well. My kids will never forget the geography of the Great Lakes after reading and loving Paddle To The Sea.

I'm a huge folktale lover, so my personal lists for each area of the world has grown extensive over the years.

But the basic idea is to just do a quick search for the country or area you are studying and you'll find plenty. Especially for Africa or China/Asian folktales.

I always read folktales of the country we're studying. I try to do geography in an integrated way also. So for US folktale obviously you would read the tall tales, Sea To Shining Sea, learn some of the songs and read various Native American folktales. Holling C Holling books are great as well. My kids will never forget the geography of the Great Lakes after reading and loving Paddle To The Sea.

I'm a huge folktale lover, so my personal lists for each area of the world has grown extensive over the years.

But the basic idea is to just do a quick search for the country or area you are studying and you'll find plenty. Especially for Africa or China/Asian folktales.

I agree! I did a little searching today for folktales. I'm so glad I have a lot of time to plan this out. I want to make sure it's thorough without being overwhelming and very low budget.

1) Whatever you are reading, find a good, lightweight atlas; something less than 100 pages. Even better: get the placemats with maps on them: one for world and one for U.S.

We have used them to follow Laura Ingalls Wilder's path from

Wisconsin (Little House in the Big Woods)

to Kansas (Little House on the Prairie)

to Minnesota (On the Banks of Plum Creek).

We also referred to our map when reading The Wall: Growing Up Behind the Iron Curtain by Peter Sis. (We are reading a lot of Caldecott books this year).

Whatever we are reading, whether it is Laura Ingalls, a Caldecott book, or an article in Ranger Rick Magazine about salmon off the coast of Alaska, we take a quick look at the map to show some perspective of where this is happening.

2) These songs:

Geography Songs

Even learning the first song about continents has given my daughter perspective of where we are talking about.

I agree! I did a little searching today for folktales. I'm so glad I have a lot of time to plan this out. I want to make sure it's thorough without being overwhelming and very low budget.

Here is the list of stories from all of Andrew Lang's fairy books, sorted by country of origin. You can get all of Lang's volumes for free online and I think some (if not all) are on Librivox. :001_smile: