Menu

2 Christmas gift related questions

1) my daughter has a camera and scrapbooks the pictures she takes. My boys think they want a camera too, but for the life of me, I can't think of a good reason they need one...they won't do a thing with the pictures...I think they just like the "idea" of having a gadget. Does anybody here have a good reason why an 8 and 10 year old boy needs a camera for Christmas?

2) I was thinking of getting the boys a set of walkie-talkies (or two way radios) for Christmas...but my duaghter would enjoy using those as much as the boys...do they make these in sets of 3...or am I just dreaming?? Any thoughts on this matter???

My boys take pics and upload them to the computer and "play" with them, doing special effects, etc.. They photoshop themselves into the white house water skiing, etc...

They also take them to camp. I develop the pics and put them in their scrapbooks. They dont like to scrapbook but do enjoy taking pics.

We use our walkie talkies around here. very helpful when dad is in the attic and needs to tell someone to flip the breaker or something. I've only seen them in packs of 2.

My oldest son first got into stop motion animation using a cheap digital camera.

I think I may have seen packs of walkie talkies in three or four, but can't remember. Every kid in our neighborhood had them when we were kids and we could talk to each other on the same channel. I don't remember the details, but you could probably get two packs of two as long as they have the ability to be on the same channel. That would give you an extra one for when friends visit or if mom and dad want to join in on the fun!

My oldest son first got into stop motion animation using a cheap digital camera.

I can't see either one of my boys getting into that...one is all about sports and other is all about science experiements...(that is the 8 year old...and maybe that would lead to a camera type interest...but not yet at 8, I don't think)

I think I may have seen packs of walkie talkies in three or four, but can't remember. Every kid in our neighborhood had them when we were kids and we could talk to each other on the same channel. I don't remember the details, but you could probably get two packs of two as long as they have the ability to be on the same channel. That would give you an extra one for when friends visit or if mom and dad want to join in on the fun!

good thought...getting 4...extra for a friend...thanks.

I had camera's when I was growing up. I didn't scrapbook, but I did enjoy the pictures. now that camera's are digital, kids can save the pictures to disc and maybe someday they will want to do something with them. you can get a basic digital point and shoot for not too much.

you might consider two set's of walkie-talkies - that way when they have friends over, they will have walkie-talkies for the friends too.

Both my kids have hand-me-down old digital cameras (when we upgraded, they got the old ones). They enjoy taking pictures on outings or of lego creations, playmobil scenes, etc. We use them for homeschooling, also, taking pictures and then printing them out and writing about things in their notebooks or making little poster presentations. My kids also enjoy stop-motion animation (but we use a webcam for that).

I think they also enjoy having a grown-up item to be responsible for, ykwim?

1) my daughter has a camera and scrapbooks the pictures she takes. My boys think they want a camera too, but for the life of me, I can't think of a good reason they need one...they won't do a thing with the pictures...I think they just like the "idea" of having a gadget. Does anybody here have a good reason why an 8 and 10 year old boy needs a camera for Christmas?

2) I was thinking of getting the boys a set of walkie-talkies (or two way radios) for Christmas...but my duaghter would enjoy using those as much as the boys...do they make these in sets of 3...or am I just dreaming?? Any thoughts on this matter???

My sister and I got cameras when we were about 8 years old. There was no such thing as scrapbooking back then but we took lots of pictures and learned how to frame a picture, as well as being able to choose for ourselves what to take pictures of.

My parents had to limit our pictures to what they could afford to develop.

I think we liked having our own camera because my dad is a HUGE photo person. So we wanted to be like him.

I would think your boys would like a camera, especially if they've expressed an interest in having one, because it's fun! They can take pictures of cool stuff like bugs and animals, they can take pictures of themselves with the things they think are cool, they can print the pictures and out them on their walls too.

I love looking through the pictures my young dd took with an old camera we gave her- it shows what was important to her at that time in her life, it's so sweet to see how she lined up her dolls and stuffed animals to take pictures of them. <3