Menu

Apologia General Science Question

Does anyone else feel like this is "lite," or am I just doing something wrong?

DS13 is in a co-op for Gen. Science so we're working off of their schedule. We take about 2 weeks to go through each module. The homework each week consists of reading the section, vocab. and the OYO questions. Then, at the co-op they do the labs.

He typically does the vocab. one day of the week, which takes all of about 20 - 30 min. max. Then, he'll do the reading and OYO's the next day, which takes about 1 hr. We don't do the module summaries or the test review unless it was a rather complex and potentially difficult lesson.

He's acing the tests for each module, but I'm concerned that what he's doing just isn't enough. Do you do anything to beef up the modules or do you feel it is plenty? I will also say that, while he used to LOVE his science classes when he was in Christian school, he is decidedly unenthusiastic about this year. That makes me kind of sad for him.

We went through General Science fairly quickly. About a week per chapter so the co op is probably making it drag out too long. Also we had covered most of the topics at least one other time. One thing that we did do was learn good note taking skills during this class. Dd14 has science notebooks that are fabulous. Ds12 is no where near as good but does know what he should be doing.:lol:

It sounds like he either needs to move more quickly or supplement with something else. If they are less than enthused about the topics we generally do something quite different as a supplement. Does he like math? One thing we have used are some TOPS units on space which are availiable on the NASA education website for free. These are pretty math intensive with projects where they make a slide ruler and learn to use it for example.

Have you actually read the bk? I tried using the general bk w/one of my daughters and she complained that it was the worst science bk she had ever read and that she detested it. She is a mild mannered young lady who does not normally complain, so it was enough for me to take serious notice.

I started reading her assigned textbook pages. After a few days, I had to agree w/her. We are not YEC, so his snide preaching tone and dismissive attitude was over the top from our perspective. We were both happy to sell the bk right away. ;) and we dropped all Apologia texts from our homeschool.

I don't have a suggestion for a general text b/c we don't use one. That was my only attempt. We now start textbook science w/chemistry and stick w/trade (whole bks on topics) until then.

(So, your ds's experience is not unique and I completely agree w/him. ;) )

It does seem a little lite for my ds also. He's already done many of the experiments with other science curriculums through the years. We're on module 6 and I have used it to teach study skills for tests and the next thing on the plate is how to take notes from a textbook. There's good arguments out there for using an easier program to teach a new skill.

Beth

We went through General Science fairly quickly. About a week per chapter so the co op is probably making it drag out too long. Also we had covered most of the topics at least one other time. One thing that we did do was learn good note taking skills during this class. Dd14 has science notebooks that are fabulous. Ds12 is no where near as good but does know what he should be doing.:lol:

I think we are in a similar boat in that DS covered a good portion of this material in his previous texts when he was in Christian School the last 2 yrs. As for taking notes, we are actually doing this very thing with our history text this year so I wouldn't want to do the same with science. I like the idea though.

It sounds like he either needs to move more quickly or supplement with something else. If they are less than enthused about the topics we generally do something quite different as a supplement. Does he like math? One thing we have used are some TOPS units on space which are availiable on the NASA education website for free. These are pretty math intensive with projects where they make a slide ruler and learn to use it for example.

DS hates math. H.A.T.E.S. HATES it. If the TOPS units are math heavy, that doesn't sound like it would be a good fit. I do want to do some science kits though. He seems to miss the "cool" science projects that they did over the last two years. The ones from his text are pretty dull.

Thanks so much for your input, I appreciate it.

Have you actually read the bk? I tried using the general bk w/one of my daughters and she complained that it was the worst science bk she had ever read and that she detested it. She is a mild mannered young lady who does not normally complain, so it was enough for me to take serious notice.

I started reading her assigned textbook pages. After a few days, I had to agree w/her. We are not YEC, so his snide preaching tone and dismissive attitude was over the top from our perspective. We were both happy to sell the bk right away. ;) and we dropped all Apologia texts from our homeschool.

I don't have a suggestion for a general text b/c we don't use one. That was my only attempt. We now start textbook science w/chemistry and stick w/trade (whole bks on topics) until then.

(So, your ds's experience is not unique and I completely agree w/him. ;) )

I'm not reading along with him but I have read some of it. I can't say that I disagree with his or your opinion. It IS dull. We actually are Christians and the author's "snide preaching tone and dismissive attitude" even irritated me. ;) Very annoying. But, at the same time, I refuse to outright change our whole curriculum at this point.

I'm not reading along with him but I have read some of it. I can't say that I disagree with his or your opinion. It IS dull. We actually are Christians and the author's "snide preaching tone and dismissive attitude" even irritated me. ;) Very annoying. But, at the same time, I refuse to outright change our whole curriculum at this point.

FWIW, I never stated that we are not Christians b/c we absolutely are. It is Wiles's YEC view that I find obvoxious. (YEC and Christian are not interchangeable. :lol:) It isn't even that I just found it dull. I just didn't find it accurate and therefore not worth our time.

FWIW, I never stated that we are not Christians b/c we absolutely are. It is Wiles's YEC view that I find obvoxious. (YEC and Christian are not interchangeable. :lol:) It isn't even that I just found it dull. I just didn't find it accurate and therefore not worth our time.

Oops, my mistake. I must have misunderstood your original comment. Sorry. I'm one that, regardless of whether it's accurate or not, I find the tone to be overbearing and preachy. Not what I had hoped for from a science textbook.