Menu

What else (not WWE) can be used before WWS

Hakg

Hi

I'm looking for a bit of writing advice. I have a (just turned) 8yo DS (grade 2), who doesnt mind writing. He doesnt love it, but is not relucant either.

We have been using WWE (along with WWW) and are about to start Galore Park Junior English 2).

DS doesnt mind WWE but I feel like we are going no where fast. He finds WWE2 very easy and I dont really feel like he is learning much, its just too much of the same thing. I think he is getting bored with it to be honest, and I cant imagine completing 2 more levels of much of the same.

I am looking to next year (grade 3). I have IEW, have looked at it numerous times, DH has looked at it, and we dont like it. I doubt very much we will use this (even in the future).

I really like the look of WWS and I think this would probably be better suited to my DS in future years. However, if we want to drop WWE now, what else could we pick up as a precursor to WWS? or does it not matter what we use now? I'd like for him to be reasonably prepared to use WWS at about grade 5 or 6.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :001_smile:

Edited by Hakg

We didn't do a formal writing program before starting WWS when my boys were in 5th and 7th grade last year. They had no problems with it and we're beta testing WWS2 this year.

It did help that we had done FLL1 when they were younger because they were familiar with narrations; we'd continued doing them off and on. We also did some outlining before doing WWS. But I don't regret focusing on other things when they were younger and waiting to get serious about writing till logic stage.

Anything that gets kids solid on narration before WWS would be fine. Most of the popular programs don't focus on this. You could either do narrations on your own or you could look at some of the vintage writing books on Google books (they tend to include narration exercises). Or, you could move forward in WWE to the point where it becomes a challenge for him. Or, you could work through a paragraph-writing book with him. My dd10 had mastered the material through WWE4 when she was in 3rd grade, so we spent most of 4th grade working through Evan-Moor's Paragraph Writing book. She really enjoyed it, and we capped off the year with her writing a 5-paragraph essay. She chose to write about falcons, and she had a great time.

Now, we ultimately ditched WWS in favor of a vintage writing book, School Composition, because WWS was making my writing-loving daughter hate writing (she felt like it was micromanaging her), but I still think WWS is a solid program even if it wasn't what my dd needed.

Tara

Thank you so much - this helps a lot.

One last question - do you think we could finish off WWE2 this year, skip WWE3 altogether, and then just complete WWE4 in the year prior to starting WWS (almost using WWE4 as a refresher)? It would mean probably a 2 year gap between WWE2 and WWE4.

I dont actually have WWE4, but have gleaned that its the same as the others, just longer, more complicated passages?

Thanks a bunch! :001_smile:

It would mean probably a 2 year gap between WWE2 and WWE4.

I wouldn't do this, personally, unless I planned to continue utilizing the skill of narration in the meantime. Like other skills, it can wither if not practiced. What about doing WWE4 over those two years instead?

Tara