Menu

Explore Test Prep

rachsr

DD9 has been registered to take the Explore test thru Duke TIP. I was wondering if we needed to prepare for it. If yes what materials do you use and recommend ?

He attends a public charter school and is accelerated in Math because of afterschooling. He is not accelerated in Science so I am wondering if he needs some prep for that.

Thanks in advance

Thanks ladies. I actually have a DS 9 not DD9 as mentioned in my first post . He hasnt used a calculator for math learning so far so that is a good idea to get him acquainted with it. He is pretty good with bubble sheets considering that they spent a good part of third grade getting ready for standardized testing.

He is not at Singapore math CWP 6 yet - he is starting out on CWP5 hopefully he will not shut down during the test if its too hard for him. I should have probably just waited a year before singing him up.

• 2 weeks later...

My son is taking this in January too ,and a question I had is how long is the exam and do they allow snacks or drinks? I think the length of the exam might be an issue for younger kids, no?

There are sample Explore questions on their site, and we also downloaded a Scholastic Math and English test booklet from their Dollar Days sale. It is not an Explore specific test, but the questions look similar and it is geared towards 8th graders. If your son would benefit from a little more "prep" that might be worth a look. For my son, he needs to learn that he wont get every single question, nor will every single question be "obvious" to him, like it was on the grade-level tests he has taken, and he needs to be okay with that and be able to move on. For a perfectionist, that can be an issue!!!

DS took the Explore test in 4th grade, and apart from getting comfortable with a calculator and a bubble sheet, all he did to prepare was a few sample questions that we found online. Explaining to him that the test was designed for older kids was enough to convince him that it was okay to guess on some questions.

According to DS (whose memory is much better than mine about these things) the test is two hours long, not including the break in the middle. DS had an accommodation so that he could have a snack with him during the test, but the other children were only allowed to eat during the break.

Any kind of prep will be helpful so thank you for the Scholastic suggestion Halcyon. i was planning on having him go thru the sample questions on their website this weekend. Hopefully the format of the questions will be similar.I wouldnt call my DS a perfectionist, he is ok if he makes silly mistakes like not adding up the numbers right but if he cant figure out how to do a problem in the first few minutes he just shuts down saying he can't do it. I am hoping AoPS will help with this attitude .

2 hours is a long test - this will be a good learning experience for him and me :-)

2 hours is actually shorter than most of the state tests now, to put it in perspective. In my state, it comes out to about 8-10 timed hours depending on grade level for grades 3-6, given in a week's window (usually in 3 days, with a couple for makeups). I figured out, my last year of teaching, that my 2nd graders were going to be spending more time on the state test than my brother was going to be spending on the VA Bar Exam.

You are right about that dmmetler. Last year in 3rd grade most of the time was spent either testing or preparing the kids for testing. DS had atleast 4 types of tests last year and I remember they spent weeks in school learning how to use the bubble sheet for each test.Our school has great test scores and now I know why!

I dont think DS has taken tests that are are over an hour at a time tho so it will be interesting to see how he does on the last section.