Menu

Homemade Vanilla Recipe HELP!!!!!!!

Do you all remember this thread?

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=377594&highlight=homemade+vanilla

I STILL have not made my vanilla b/c I'm confused.

1. Do you buy a new, big bottle in which to place the beans OR do you place the beans directly into the vodka (bottle) that you buy from the store? (I'm going to try 2 recipes: vodka and non-alcoholic - 2 different bottles, not a combo).

2. WHICH part is the bean? This is a terminology issue with me. I'm assuming there are little beans INSIDE A POD? Do you put the WHOLE pod into the bottle? OR, do you cut pods and put the beans into the liquid?

HOW MANY BEANS for 700-750 mm? HOW MANY PODS for 700-750 mm?

I'd appreciate your responses. As you can tell my vanilla will not be ready for Christmas baking. :confused:

THANKS!

1. I put the them right into the vodka bottle. I actually use it that way, too.

2. You can do this many ways, and have it still work. It is the inside of the pod that matters. I prefer to cut the pods down the middle leaving one end still attached, just because it's pretty that way. :) Sometimes I scrape down the middle and put the insides in separately, but I also still add the whole pod. I would use 8-12 beans, depending on their size and freshness, in 750 ml.

Also, if you do it SOON, with plenty of beans, and shake it regularly, you may well have vodka to use for Christmas baking. Mine is ready in as little as 30 days.

Edited by hana

1. I put the them right into the vodka bottle. I actually use it that way, too.

2. You can do this many ways, and have it still work. It is the inside of the pod that matters. I prefer to cut the pods down the middle leaving one end still attached, just because it's pretty that way. :) Sometimes I scrape down the middle and put the insides in separately, but I also still add the whole pod. I would use 8-12 beans, depending on their size and freshness, in 750 ml.

Also, if you do it SOON, with plenty of beans, and shake it regularly, you may well have vodka to use for Christmas baking. Mine is ready in as little as 30 days.

OK, thanks Hana! You mean cut down the pod lengthwise and leave one "side", not end, right?

The beans are vacuum sealed and bought fresh from Amazon, but are 3 months old, is that OK?

How many "beans" are in "each pod"?

Lastly, "shake" the bottle? How many times a day? How many days?

THANKS!

You are over thinking this! Buy vodka. Slice into the beans so that the vodka contacts the innards immediately. Drop beans into the vodka. Reseal. Shake a couple times a day for a month.

The seeds inside vanilla beans are teeny tiny. You can't count them easily.

In 30 days or so, strain the liquid and enjoy!

:iagree::iagree: And to make it even easier, I don't even strain. Just measure it out as is when needed.

It sounds like you're all set now. But what I meant is that I lay the vanilla bean on a cutting board, put the tip of a knife in (all the way through) about 1/2 inch from one end, then draw the knife down to the far end. You could just as easily not leave the two sides attached, as another poster wrote.

I don't know why I do it the way I do. I just do. :tongue_smilie:

It sounds like you're all set now. But what I meant is that I lay the vanilla bean on a cutting board, put the tip of a knife in (all the way through) about 1/2 inch from one end, then draw the knife down to the far end. You could just as easily not leave the two sides attached, as another poster wrote.

I don't know why I do it the way I do. I just do. :tongue_smilie:

I like it and seems like it would look pretty. Thanks!

I just read about how to make vanilla in Cook's Illustrated. They said to take one vanilla bean, split down the middle and scrape out the seeds. Place the pod and the seeds in 3/4 cup hot vodka and cool to room temperature. Place in a jar, put a lid on it, and shake it gently once a day for a week. Strain and use. Should be ready after one week.

Interesting...

Our instructions simply call for turning the bottle upside down once a week and keep it stored in a dark place.

We usually let it brew for a few months; it continues to darken and the flavor is richer. Most of the time, I never take the beans out of the bottle unless we're giving it as a gift. (Big bottle = 7-9 beans, scraped up the middle.)

I don't think there is a wrong way to make it.

I just read about how to make vanilla in Cook's Illustrated. They said to take one vanilla bean, split down the middle and scrape out the seeds. Place the pod and the seeds in 3/4 cup hot vodka and cool to room temperature. Place in a jar, put a lid on it, and shake it gently once a day for a week. Strain and use. Should be ready after one week.

Thanks much!

Interesting...

Our instructions simply call for turning the bottle upside down once a week and keep it stored in a dark place.

We usually let it brew for a few months; it continues to darken and the flavor is richer. Most of the time, I never take the beans out of the bottle unless we're giving it as a gift. (Big bottle = 7-9 beans, scraped up the middle.)

I don't think there is a wrong way to make it.

Appreciate this. I've heard again and again that the longer it sits and richer the flavor. I'm wondering if, after I make it, I could take some out after a month and continue to let the rest brew for 2-3 months after?

I bought a pkg of 16 beans and will use 8 beans then per 750 mm or so of liquid. Sounds great! Thanks!!!

:iagree::iagree: And to make it even easier, I don't even strain. Just measure it out as is when needed.

I do something even easier: I put the beans whole (uncut) into the vodka, then put the bottle in the pantry and forget about it for about 3 months. Once it's iced-tea colored, it's ready.

I use it right out of the bottle. When the bottle's about half full, add more vodka and continue the process. The same beans can make multiple batches. :)

Lisa

Absolutely.

When I bottle it for friends, I often put a single bean in the bottle. I leave the beans in our bottle until I use up the vanilla or want to make something like vanilla-bean ice-cream with them.

Thanks much!

Appreciate this. I've heard again and again that the longer it sits and richer the flavor. I'm wondering if, after I make it, I could take some out after a month and continue to let the rest brew for 2-3 months after?

I bought a pkg of 16 beans and will use 8 beans then per 750 mm or so of liquid. Sounds great! Thanks!!!

Absolutely.

When I bottle it for friends, I often put a single bean in the bottle. I leave the beans in our bottle until I use up the vanilla or want to make something like vanilla-bean ice-cream with them.

sounds great! now, about the vanilla-bean ice-cream......sounds too good. do tell. :D