Menu

Please explain the electoral college to me.

I know this is something I should already understand, but I really don't.

Are these real people that vote? Do they have to vote according to the majority rule of their state? Have they already voted in states that will obviously go one way even if that state hasn't counted their votes yet?

The system itself assigns a number of electors equal to the number of congresspersons for the state. The electors are obliged to vote according to the terms of the state's rules (a couple of states divide electors based on congressional district) which generally have the electors voting a reflection of the majority of popular votes in the state.

"Today, the word "college" does not refer to a school, but rather an assemblage of "Electors" (they are normally chosen by their state political parties and/or state party leaders, subject to state law) who collectively cast their votes for a presidential candidate after the popular vote winner has been established in each state. So, in the modern era, Electors are merely ratifying popular vote results established six weeks earlier on election day. For example, in the 1996 presidential election, the Republican nominee Bob Dole won the most popular votes in his home state, Kansas. Therefore, he was entitled to all of the six electoral votes from that state. "

Taken from here http://www.cnn.com/fyi/interactive/news/10/election.special/teachers/bg.6.html

I know this is something I should already understand, but I really don't.

Are these real people that vote? Do they have to vote according to the majority rule of their state? Have they already voted in states that will obviously go one way even if that state hasn't counted their votes yet?

Yes, the electors are real people. In a real sense, you are actually voting for the electors, not the president directly. In some states, the names f the electors are present on the ballot as well.

The rules for electors vary by state. Not all states bind their electors to vote for the popular vote, though most will. Two states, I believe Maine and Nebraska, can actually split the electoral votes between candidates (in 2008, according to the CNN map, NE had 4 votes go Republican and 1 go Democratic). The electors did not vote yet tonight; that will take place on a different date, and nothing is truly official until that vote takes place, though the outcome can generally be predicted.