Menu

Weaving, anyone?

I went to a fiber fair this weekend, oh my!

And I want to learn more about weaving. There was a lady there with a wooden lap loom she'd built and she was doing African weaving (she said). It didn't look complicated. So it probably really is.

I do have one book on weaving called Kids Weaving that tells me how to built a loom out of PVC piping.

If you're into this "sport" please fill me in. I'm hugely interested.

For now I gotta list of socks for Christmas I'm making. :)

While I am not a weaver per se, I did have to take weaving as part of my education to become an art teacher and I've taught simple weaving techniques many times. There are many different kinds of looms from simple wooden frames to large floor looms. I am assuming from what you described that you are interested in getting your feet wet with the former.

Here are some links to get you started. I hope you find them helpful.

Build and Weave on a Simple Frame Loom

Weaver's Hand

Reinventing the Loom

Dick Blick Art Materials: Weaving Products

I'm a weaver, although it has been a while, due to time constraints and shoulder problems.

What is it that you want to weave? Scarves? Table Runners? Hand Towels? Blankets? Knowing what your goals are will help you to decide on a loom.

Learning to Weave is my all-time favorite book for learning how to weave. I took a weaving class, but I didn't really learn *how* to weave until I sat down with this book in hand and did it myself.

A rigid heddle loom is a good beginner's loom. It will get you into weaving at a fairly low cost. This site contains a sampling of the most popular rigid heddle looms. I like the Kromski. A friend of mine is a dealer, and I was able to try it out.

The next step up would be a table loom or small floor loom. These looms allow for more options in color and pattern.

I own a table loom and a 60" LeClerc counterbalance floor loom. I've woven scarves, table runners, dish towels, and blankets.

Ebay is a good place to get a starter loom. The Spinners and Weavers Housecleaning pages is another great site.

Hope that helps! Weaving is a lot of fun! :001_smile: (I love the fiber arts! I also spin and knit.)

I didn't know you were a weaver, Lisa! Should have figured with that bouncy sheep of yours! Do you weave with wool?

How cool!

I have woven with wool, but mostly with cotton. There is a good bit of waste involved when warping a loom. Some day, I will use some of my homespun in the weft. I want a way to keep my sheepies with me always. :001_smile: We're down to two, and the older one is suffering from arthritis and is not long for this world. I will most likely try to place my other ewe at a farm. I think we're done with sheep. It is work that we really don't need to be doing at this stage of life. It also restricts us from going away, since we need to have someone stay at our house to take care of the sheep and the three dogs.

I have loved having them, though. My dh wants to buy another one. He's the crazy one. :001_smile:

Tabletweaving is a good place to start. This is my favourite site, so easy to understand I even managed when 95% brainless during my first pregnancy. http://members.shaw.ca/evethejust/btablet.html Take a look at her gallery too, but don't start on anything too complicated! Stripes are a good start :) There are many looms around, or you can do without and just tie it around your waist and attach to a table leg or something. Here's my loom beautifully posing with dh. It's like a trestle leg. http://www.geocities.com/rosie_0801/loom.html

:)

Rosie

Another vote for a rigid heddle loom to get you started. Be careful, we started with a drop spindle, then two spinning wheels, that turned into 87 sheep, 6 45" looms and untold number of smaller looms. I will say in my defense that 5 of the looms are for sale... :D

LOL! I know exactly what you mean! It can quickly spin out of control. (pun intended) :D

We had an Angora rabbit for a while. That darn thing was more work than my 5 sheep.

Well I might just spread my mother's weaving blog across the planet!

My mum has chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and I don't know what else, but years ago now she took up weaving and has become very good at it. You can see some of her work here (she has had a couple of exhibitions with her photographer partner, and also I have several of the items pictured here, including the one at the top :) )

It does make it easy to buy her birthday and Christmas presents though- I get to go into lovely wool shops and find unique unspun wool (she spins too!) and obscure threads for her- camel thread, rabbit hair, raw silk- its fun! One day, I will have more time to follow in her footsteps....

http://banksiarose.blogspot.com/

How lovely! Her work is fabulous. I love her wall hangings. I must say, I always wondered about the shawl you are wearing in your avatar pic. NowI have seen the whole thing and know it is a ruana. It is quite stunning on you. Thank you so much for sharing.

Weaving is indeed very therapuetic. I think all fiber arts tend to fall into this category

Weaving is indeed very therapuetic. I think all fiber arts tend to fall into this category

Oh, yes! I am so glad to have found this wonderful art. I didn't realize what a tactile person I was until I took up fiber arts. And I *love* the smell of wool - on the sheep, and off. :001_smile:

Well I might just spread my mother's weaving blog across the planet!

My mum has chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and I don't know what else, but years ago now she took up weaving and has become very good at it. You can see some of her work here (she has had a couple of exhibitions with her photographer partner, and also I have several of the items pictured here, including the one at the top :) )

It does make it easy to buy her birthday and Christmas presents though- I get to go into lovely wool shops and find unique unspun wool (she spins too!) and obscure threads for her- camel thread, rabbit hair, raw silk- its fun! One day, I will have more time to follow in her footsteps....

http://banksiarose.blogspot.com/

Lovely, Peela, just lovely! Thank you for sharing! :001_smile:

LOL! I know exactly what you mean! It can quickly spin out of control. (pun intended) :D

We had an Angora rabbit for a while. That darn thing was more work than my 5 sheep.

:lol: I almost came home from the fair with one. I have two rabbits already, short haired and only good for producing poop to fertilize the garden. I am thinking about "upgrading" for a bunny to fertilize & Fiber. He was a lovely champagne colored buck. I really wanted a doe--only because I've got 2 bucks right now.

But I just knew the $30 bunny was really closer to a $1000 ($500 for spinning wheel, $?? for lessons on spinning, ?? more supplies!!!)

I'm a weaver, although it has been a while, due to time constraints and shoulder problems.

What is it that you want to weave? Scarves? Table Runners? Hand Towels? Blankets? Knowing what your goals are will help you to decide on a loom.

Learning to Weave is my all-time favorite book for learning how to weave. I took a weaving class, but I didn't really learn *how* to weave until I sat down with this book in hand and did it myself.

A rigid heddle loom is a good beginner's loom. It will get you into weaving at a fairly low cost. This site contains a sampling of the most popular rigid heddle looms. I like the Kromski. A friend of mine is a dealer, and I was able to try it out.

The next step up would be a table loom or small floor loom. These looms allow for more options in color and pattern.

I own a table loom and a 60" LeClerc counterbalance floor loom. I've woven scarves, table runners, dish towels, and blankets.

Ebay is a good place to get a starter loom. The Spinners and Weavers Housecleaning pages is another great site.

Hope that helps! Weaving is a lot of fun! :001_smile: (I love the fiber arts! I also spin and knit.)

Weeellll, what got me interested was that the woman I saw at the fair was working off of a drawing she'd done on paper. It was going to be a wall hanging.

My dd 9 is quite an artist (pen & paper) and I really think that weaving might be another medium for her artwork. Soooo, I'm justifying MY new hobby with the idea that she'll get interested too. I did show her a bit of it and she already got the idea to start with a simple drawing. I also showed her a bit of needle felting and it's also got her interested.

Wall hangings and placemats are where I'd like to start.