Menu

Writing....12th grader wants to improve...background

Need recommendations for son to do another writing program. He loves (alot) the Lively Art of Writing. He says it is the best program out there in his opinion. He did the IEW stuff(he says it is very limiting), currently doing The New Oxford Guide to Writing. He did do the Art of Argument which is also WTM recs.

Any thoughts as to what else he can do to gain more writing instruction? I believe what he is doing is enough. I do plan on him going through D'Angelo in spring but he is wanting something similiar to Lively Art of Writing and a different opinion on writing.

Thanks!

Holly

I suggest doing something with a live teacher, such as CC, where he can get other's feedback, etc, rather than another book based course. If you lived around her, I know of an excellent writing teacher who teaches only homeschoolers (her students do very well with contests, college apps, etc.)

I will look into CC then and see what they offer. I do have to make sure the college he is wanting to get into will accept it.

Holly

For credit or as a high school course? Do you have dual enrollment options where you live? Here high school kids can go for free, so we don't worry about them getting college credit for it. My middle one is planning to do that next semester but she's now in ps, so will have to enroll through them.

I will look into CC then and see what they offer. I do have to make sure the college he is wanting to get into will accept it.

Holly

It sounds like you feel he's well prepared for college writing, but he's got some doubts. A college writing course at the CC would help to strengthen any weak areas and/or boost his confidence that he's ready to write college papers. It's always a good idea to check with his college for transfer credit, but it might be worth taking even if they won't give credit, especially if this would be his first college course. IMO it's always good to have at least one or two while still in high school. They learn so much more from the experience than just the course content.