Menu

Assasins Creed III

Bought for ds(16) for fun, it is turning into a study of the who's who of the American Revolution. Places, events, people as he encounters them or even passes them along his route will get a detailed blurb in the special encyclopedia" being compiled. DS just recently encountered Paul Revere and is helping him warn of the British coming. I am helping Sam Adams right now(yep, I'm playing too) and recently had an interesting talk with Ben Franklin. My son is starting to look things up or ask about different key elements of the American Revolution, and is actually reading the encyclopedia entries as they are added to the game. I love it when a video game that was bought for fun turns into a learning experience. This happened recently with the game Dark Siders II...ds got interested in the 4 horsemen so he read Revelations and has done a study on who/what the 4 horsemen are/were.

That's neat to know! Ds just got this and has been enjoying it.

I can't remember which game (I'd have to ask him), but one of his games taught him a lot about how the Romans lived (Rome Total War, maybe). The knowledge he got from playing that game helped him on some standardized test, but I can't remember which one it was....

I'll have to tell ds about Dark Siders II. It sounds like he might like that.

I noticed that it's rated M -- is it super-violent with a lot of blood and guts? Are there s*xual references?

My ds12 hasn't shown any interest in it, probably because we don't buy Rated M games, but you guys make it sound like fun (and educational :tongue_smilie:) so I'm wondering what aspects of the game give it the M rating.

Thanks! :001_smile:

Cat,

I'm honestly not big on these games, educational or no. That said, my son has VERY limited screen time (2 hours each on Sat and Sun, at the moment) so I just try to be aware of what he's seeing. From what I've seen it's just that the play is very adult (knowing what's going on) and graphic violence. Here's a link to the review: http://www.commonsensemedia.org/game-reviews/assassins-creed That's for the original.

I noticed that it's rated M -- is it super-violent with a lot of blood and guts? Are there s*xual references?

Thanks! :001_smile:

The majority of the previous games was learning various ways to assassinate targets (in a very neat, historical setting with awesome controls) There is some blood - no guts - but the entire game premise is violent. I have not played this new game, yet.

As far as sexual references, the first one is pretty tame. ACII the main character is a womanizer. There's a couple animated scenes of "bedroom fun" - I've only played through AC, AC:II and AC:II Brotherhood, and I have no experience with AC: Revelations or AC: III

But alas, my XBOX has died and so no more AC for me.

Cat,

I'm honestly not big on these games, educational or no. That said, my son has VERY limited screen time (2 hours each on Sat and Sun, at the moment) so I just try to be aware of what he's seeing. From what I've seen it's just that the play is very adult (knowing what's going on) and graphic violence. Here's a link to the review: http://www.commonsensemedia.org/game-reviews/assassins-creed That's for the original.

Thanks! I'll check out the reviews. :001_smile:

The majority of the previous games was learning various ways to assassinate targets (in a very neat, historical setting with awesome controls) There is some blood - no guts - but the entire game premise is violent. I have not played this new game, yet.

As far as sexual references, the first one is pretty tame. ACII the main character is a womanizer. There's a couple animated scenes of "bedroom fun" - I've only played through AC, AC:II and AC:II Brotherhood, and I have no experience with AC: Revelations or AC: III

Thanks, Ashley! :001_smile:

It sounds like the first one might be OK, but the second one is a definite NO for ds12 right now (no interest in girls yet, and in no hurry to rush him!)

:iagree: This is exactly what dh says. He has no experience with AC:III, but there is a good chance we will pick it up. Our ds is allowed to play some rated M games, previewed by dh.

:iagree:

There was one funny conversation with Ben Franklin where he is working on a schematic where it gives 6 or 7 reasons why courting/relationship with an older woman is better then a younger.

There is blood but not over the top where it sprays all over. Cursing is in there but not a forced type where every other word is colorful.