Menu

Need help - 4th Grade Grammar

Mom2OandE

We have been using Kiss Grammar. DD seems to be struggling with it saying she doesn't understand the sentences she's being given. She was ps the past 4 years and while we were avid readers she didn't hear too many classics. Now that we are homeschooling we are tackling quite a few and I can tell her understanding is improving. In the meantime though I find myself printing off worksheets from the K12 site. It doesn't say though what grade that is geared towards. Not sure if I should keep using the K12 site and a Kiss page here and there or if I should try something else. Any 4th grade grammar recommendations? Something written in more plain language. Thanks.

I don't know anything about KISS but see it talked about a lot here. One you could look at is First Language Lessons (which you could start at FLL4, but that is where it ends so you would have to choose something else next year; if she hasn't had much grammar you could use FLL3 and then 4). Rod & Staff is a strong grammar (includes diagramming) that a lot of people here use (and popular after going through FLL. I own the fourth grade R&S English, and it is pretty gentle but it is a bit schoolish (either they have to do a lot of writing, or you do a lot of it orally). It also includes writing, but we have used something else for writing (IEW). Other popular ones you could look at would be Growing with Grammar, Shurley, Michael Clay Thompson (MCT). I haven't used or owned any of those so I can't give any input on them. Not as popular on this forum, but popular in homeschooling circles in general is Easy Grammar. Maybe those will give you some ideas.

I loved how easy Rod and Staff was to teach. We did much of it orally for practice, then dd did at least two or three of the assignments.

She wasn't big on it, tho, but she did learn quite a bit.

You might look at the scope and sequence and see if maybe Grade 3 is a better fit.

It's religious, too, if that makes any difference.