Menu

Conceptual Chemistry course to recommend?

I've been advised to have my hopeful-engineer-to-be 9th grader take a conceptual chemistry course since he hasn't had algebra 1 yet. Can anyone recommend one? I have no knowledge of "conceptual chemistry" and just heard that term today for the first time. I was planning on using BJU science with the DIVE cds but I'm not sure that's an option if chemistry is the route we are going for 9th grade.

The newest version has free online access to the videos that go with the text (and are great). With the older edition you needed a CD/DVD-ROM and then you had to pay to get access beyond 6 months. The videos corresponding to the new edition are not in the same order.

All of this is to say that I'd get the new edition.

The newest version has free online access to the videos that go with the text (and are great). With the older edition you needed a CD/DVD-ROM and then you had to pay to get access beyond 6 months. The videos corresponding to the new edition are not in the same order.

All of this is to say that I'd get the new edition.

That is, if your student finds videos useful.

In our house, we tend to use just textbooks anyway (auxilliary resources end up not being used) - so I would buy the cheapest old edition and use the book alone, possibly supplement with the occasional Khan academy video if needed. But that's my kids.

That is, if your student finds videos useful.

In our house, we tend to use just textbooks anyway (auxilliary resources end up not being used) - so I would buy the cheapest old edition and use the book alone, possibly supplement with the occasional Khan academy video if needed. But that's my kids.

This was one of the few instances where we actually used the auxiliary resources here. Although my son did complain (repeatedly) that the guy on the videos reminded him of the guy on Blue's Clues.

Yes, the guy on the videos is similar to the guy on Blues Clues (bta, the first guy on Blues Clues was a LOT like one of my younger dbs in personality & humour & physique), but my dd loved them & watched every single lecture. We have the 2003 one, but since the CD-Rom had never been used, didn't have to pay (we did it in one semester).

It's an excellent program, but we did a lab kit instead of their labs as I didn't have time to get that all organized.

I have no idea! I'm looking around WTM to get some suggestions. Does anyone know of a good one?

We used the MicroChem labs. I liked them because they could be done on our kitchen table. It did take a fair bit of planning on my part to correlate them to the chapters. We had several other homeschoolers who were studying different Chem courses join is for the labs.

It wouldn't hurt to do chem labs with conceptual chemistry even if your student plans to do a later chem class. Many students really enjoy the labs and it makes a nice change from watching lectures/reading text. We used the Thames & Kosmos CHEM C3000 kit. It contains most of the chemicals and glassware/equipment that you need. We did have to pick up a few additional chemicals elsewhere for some of the labs.

We used the 3rd edition textbook and made extensive use of the free website lectures and worksheets. They have a list of the videos and how they correspond to the 3rd edition on the website, under the Tutorials tab, labeled "Third Edition Sequence."

The Microchem set looks interesting, thanks. :)

Should we wait for labs until he's taking a regular chem course as opposed to conceptual chem? I'm concerned with him not understanding the math involved since he isn't doing algebra yet.

Dd had already had Algebra 1 prior to her freshman year & had no trouble with the math with Microchem, or you could help with that part.