Menu

What would be fair...

I'm wanting to purchase a painting for my dd7. She loves horses and I'd love to have a unique painting done just for her. I know art is expensive, and we don't have a huge budget. However, I hate spending $25 on Target vinyl wall stickers...I'd rather put that towards real art, kwim?

My friends niece, age 11, has said she might be interested in painting something. I love the idea, not only of having a 'real' painting, but of supporting and encouraging this young lady in her artistic pursuits. :001_smile:

I asked what she charged and was told anything I wanted to pay was fine. :001_smile:I'm planning on purchasing the canvas I'm wanting, so I can get the size that fits the wall I'm thinking of. What would be a fair amount to pay this girl? Also, I'll need to give her an idea of what style/colors...anyone have a horse painting they love? I *think* dd prefers more realistic paintings as opposed to cartoonish ones..but I'll ask to be sure. Right now, her 'color' is lavender, and my other dd (who shares the room) is pink. Other colors in their room are lime, brown, and light teal. Any ideas?

Edited by Gentlemommy

That sounds like my dd when she was about 8 yrs. old. I painted her room lavender, was super lucky to find a wall border that was lavender with brown horses and hung that near the ceiling, and then used an overhead projector to paint a horse mural on her wall. I'm not an artist but all I had to do was trace and fill in with paint. It was very large and looked fanastic. Unfortunately we couldn't move it like you could with a painting. Do you know how this young girl paints? What is her experience? Have you seen some of her work? I would pay her according to the finished result and would make it lower than something you can find online. What size frame are you purchasing? I'd pay higher for something larger. It would be more work on her part.

Dd14 loves to paint and absolutely loves seeing her finished work framed. To be perfectly honest I wouldn't worry too much about paying her. For dd buying her the supplies to do the painting would thrill her. Let your niece have some imput on what she needs. Dd would be thrilled that someone wants her work and love the challenge of being commissioned. New art supplies are always welcome.