Menu

Pies :) (Recipes)

I'm trying to put some variety in breakfast. I'd like to start serving pie in place of pancakes or toast, etc. I know it sounds odd, but it can't be worse than a pop-tart IMO.

I have a good pumpkin pie recipe, but that's the only one I really know how to make. We are gluten free, so I don't need pie crust recipes - I plan to buy those pre-made.

I'd love apple, blueberry and any other type of fruit or light sweetened pie. I don't want anything like chocolate since I wouldn't want that for breakfast. My thoughts are to serve a slice of pie, scrambled eggs and a meat of some sort.

Thanks and hope I don't sound too weird. :)

This was my grandmother's recipe and it's now my favorite. I'd eat it for breakfast (and lunch and dinner). I'm also working on losing 30 pounds right now and I think the love of this pie might be somehow to blame.

Buttermilk Custard Pie

1 1/2 c sugar

3 eggs

1/2 stick of butter, melted

1/2 c buttermilk

1 T cornstarch

1 t vanilla

Pie crust

Beat the eggs then add remaining ingredients. (I use a kitchenaid and just throw it all in there.) Pour into an unbaked pie crust and bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. If the top browns too quickly, reduce the temp to 350 degrees.

This cobbler is my go-to recipe during the summer when I have company coming over. It's so easy, fast, and I usually have all the ingredients on hand already.

Blueberry Cobbler

2/3 c flour

1/2 c sugar

1 1/2 t baking powder

1/4 t salt

2/3 c milk

2 c blueberries (peaches or other berries would also work)

2-3 T butter

Heat over to 350 degrees and place pie pan in oven to heat also. Mix dry ingredients together and then add milk. Remove pan from over and melt butter in pan. Make sure you cover pie well with the melted butter. Add mix to pan and then sprinkle with berries. Bake for 40 minutes.

Neither of these would I recommend for breakfast because they are high in sugar but they're delicious.

What's weird about pie?! I think any fruit would be yummy.

Here is an excellent recipe for fresh single crush pie. Uses cornstarch to thicken

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/the-very-freshest-fruit-pie-recipe

However it's not quite the right season for berries and such.

You could also make something savory such as a quiche or something with onions and greens but no eggs. There are some other meaty pie recipes om King Arthur Flour's website.

Mincemeat is sort of autumnal/wintery, although I am not really a fan myself.

Here is one of my favorites:

Dutch Apple Crumb Pie (from kraftrecipes.com)

Makes: 1 - 9 inch pie Total Time: 50 min

Submitted by: Sknymnie

what you need

Pie Filling:

3/4 cup sugar

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Dash of salt

6 cups (4-5 medium) thinly sliced tart apples

Topping:

3/4 cup flour

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1/3 cup chilled butter (cut into small pieces)

1-9 inch unbaked pie shell

1 Tbsp. butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Filling:

Stir together sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg & salt; mix with apples, let stand 15 minutes.

Topping:

Mix flour, brown sugar & cinnamon in bowl; cut in butter until mix resembles coarse crumbs.

Fill 9 inch pastry shell with the apple mix and dot with the 1 Tbsp. butter. Sprinkle crumb mixture on top of apples. Wrap edges of crust with 2 inch strips of foil (to prevent over browning).

Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Then reduce oven to 350 degree F and bake 15 more minutes. Then remove foil strips and continue to bake 20 more minutes until juices form slow bursting bubbles.

Cool on wire rack, eat, and enjoy!

I am going to try to get a generic fruit double crust pie recipe. I looked on King Arthur flour. I think it has options for flour, cornstarch, or tapioca, but I am not sure - but it would be good as you could pick either cornstarch or tapioca to be gluten free, right? I will look it up in their cookbook anyway.

This four berry pie is outstanding

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=7270445

I like the crumb topping, but they don't give a recipe for it. Despite the photo, they give a double crust recipe! The crumb has oatmeal in it and is not "chunky," but I imagine you could use whatever you wanted instead, or do a double crust, although I think the crumb topping is very nice. The pie has cornstarch and tapioca for thickener and is really, really good.