Menu

Is spelling necessary?

I'm making plans for the fall and wondered how necessary - or how much success - you've had with spelling programs. We've been using SW, as recommended by WTM. I really don't see too much value in it. The words chosen for each lesson seem so random and I'm not sure how much retention takes place. It seems like busy work to me... Am I missing something? Does anyone not do formal spelling - maybe concentrating more on frequently misspelled words?

Thanks!

I am a fairly natural speller, so initially I hadn't planned on a formal spelling program with my dd. But I discovered that she is not a natural speller at all and needs a structured program. I really think it depends on the child. If she were a natural speller, I would be inclined to try a Charlotte Mason approach to spelling. But since she isn't, we have tried AVKO Sequential Spelling and that is working really well for us.

I'm making plans for the fall and wondered how necessary - or how much success - you've had with spelling programs. We've been using SW, as recommended by WTM. I really don't see too much value in it. The words chosen for each lesson seem so random and I'm not sure how much retention takes place. It seems like busy work to me... Am I missing something? Does anyone not do formal spelling - maybe concentrating more on frequently misspelled words?

Thanks!

There are other ways to do spelling rather than lists of random words.

Sequential Spelling groups words according to what amounts to phonics families.

I've seen old spellers from the early 1900s group words according to the frequency in which children use the word in writing. Here is one which has all the spelling lists for 2nd - 8th grade including the dictation sentences you should use. Essentials of Spelling

With my son last year we made up a list of spelling words based on the science unit he was reading.

Well, after years of doing a spelling program, we're going more natural this year, meaning we will be deriving spelling words from dd's writings, not from another program or random list. Some kids are just natural spellers and don't need much help. My kids really are not natural spellers, but I haven't really seen how our spelling program has made them better spellers either. So, I'm going to try and keep a simple spelling notebook of words that give her trouble. She'll have to correct the word {look up in dictionary for correct spelling} and record it in the notebook. Then, once or twice a week I'll have her do a review of those words. I am hoping that if she focuses on the words she is actually using that her spelling will improve, b/c it is relevant. I really don't like random lists either!:)

I use a spelling program as my main phonics/reading program. Spelling to Write and Read uses a Spelling list based on the most common 2000 words used in English. You memorize 70 phonograms and 28 spelling rules and use those to spell the words in order of frequency the word is used in English.

Check you library for Writing Road to Reading by Spalding. SWR is based on this book.

My daughter is a natural speller. She doesn't do spelling anymore because it isn't necessary.

My son is not a natural speller. He needs to see the patterns and repeat the patterns for spelling to sink in. It is necessary for him because he has problems writing because the spelling is not automatic. It is very hard to write a good sentence when you need to stop and think about the spelling of every word. He is using Sequential Spelling because it allows him to see the patterns and it gives him confidence that he can spell the longer words that he doesn't use on paper because his is intimidated by the thought of trying to write them down.

If SWO isn't working for you then look at a different program. For us Sequential Spelling is working very well.

I've used Spelling Workout for a couple of years with very good success. Each lesson is organized by a particular phonetic sound/spelling rule. My kids think the worksheets are fun. The teachers guide suggests a few activities to do with each lesson and we follow this to a "T". In addition, I ask my kids to write the words they miss on the pre-test 5 times each. They also study their words on their own for about 5 minutes before completing each days assignment.

Please look into this one...you will still get patterns of spelling, but will use their normal everyday writing assignments or homework assignments to see what they are misspelling.

I agree some are natural at it and some are not. I thought my oldest was better at it than his younger brother, so I dropped spelling off with him early on and focused on the one whom I thought had the "problems". Now, eldest stinks at spelling and the other one rarely misspells anything, certainly not twice.

My son never had any trouble with spelling, but we kept doing it for a couple of reasons. He knew how to spell the words, but the definitions threw him somethings -- he was usually close, but might be a little "off" and I'd never know if we didn't work on it. But the biggest reason we kept doing it was because he was so good at it. He could breeze through it and enjoy the success and it really didn't take up that much time.

We have done spelling as a formal subject only sporadically, which seems to have been plenty. I suspect mine are both fairly natural spellers- even my dyslexic kid can spell- which I think is because he is is a good reader now, although I cant say for sure why he can spell.

Anyway, you can always do spelling part of the year. Spelling Power is good for that- no feeling you need to get through a workbook.

We use dictation and, the kids both say they learn spelling using wordcheck on the computer. Once they get to the point that they want to spell correctly, its easier- they start noticing.

However, if I had a kid who seemed to be having trouble- I would work at it.

My son never had any trouble with spelling, but we kept doing it for a couple of reasons. He knew how to spell the words, but the definitions threw him somethings -- he was usually close, but might be a little "off" and I'd never know if we didn't work on it. But the biggest reason we kept doing it was because he was so good at it. He could breeze through it and enjoy the success and it really didn't take up that much time.

I agree with Kris here - on both counts.

Before I gained the above understanding, I was going to just be done at SW C because it was so simple and easy. I don't know where your dc are with these books, but D gets more challenging, especially when you make the spelling rules at the beginning of each lesson the focus. When I test them on thier list words, I will often add a question about the spelling rule or have them use a few of the words in sentences to be sure they understand the meanings. I can honestly say I was surprised at how many ds did not know! He could spell them just fine, but he guessed at what they meant! I'm glad we decided to stick w/it and I am looking forward to E and F, which are supposed to cover more difficult rules and root words. I also like them because we practice cursive using this book (the list words are written in cursive in C and, I think part of B) and, of course those definitions.

After all that :001_smile:, I can also see the value of spelling the Charlotte Mason way. It makes perfect sense and it is where I was heading after SW C. I think its just easier to have the book get it started and keep it focused for me.

Thanks!

This is why we switched to AAS. Dd did all of SWO A and most of B, but had little retention. The randomness of the lists was kind of the final straw. I went looking for something to teach the rules and found AAS. She enjoys it and her retention is amazing with it.

I can also see the value of spelling the Charlotte Mason way. It makes perfect sense and it is where I was heading after SW C. I think its just easier to have the book get it started and keep it focused for me.

When I was researching/learning about CM methods, this is where I got my ideas for doing spelling "naturally." It makes sense in a lot of ways. :) We will definitely be doing definitions. I forget a lot of spelling programs cover vocabulary too. We usually have combined that with Grammar or Latin as our spelling program we used was Spelling Power.

If any of you would like to simplify your spelling program, but still want a program, check out Simply Spelling by Shoelace Books. I have not used it personally but there are others on this forum who do. It seems pretty Charlotte Mason to me.:)