Menu

Science- frogs, lizards, snakes?

campmom

My ds8 informed me last night that he would like to learn about frogs, lizards and snakes. Since we are not doing anything I consider important in science at the moment I will be happy to go with this. Besides just reading books what else would you do? Any ideas for how to make this into science learning would be appreciated. What materials would you gather? How would something like this look at your house? Also any great books to get? Any experiments? Thanks so much, I want this to be fun but educational.

My ds8 informed me last night that he would like to learn about frogs, lizards and snakes. Since we are not doing anything I consider important in science at the moment I will be happy to go with this. Besides just reading books what else would you do? Any ideas for how to make this into science learning would be appreciated. What materials would you gather? How would something like this look at your house? Also any great books to get? Any experiments? Thanks so much, I want this to be fun but educational.

How fun! :) How about this:

Bill Nye: Reptiles Check your library to see if they have it. :)

Grow A Frog Kit A friend of mine did this, and her frog got huge!

Frog Dissection Kit We've used this kit before, and my boys were fascinated.

Snake Specimen

Coloring pages and info (specific to the state of Florida, but you could probably find something for your area).

If you don't have any objection to some Christian content,, check out the Shining Dawn products (although it would be easy to leave out the Christian content)

They have a nature study specifically on frogs and toads

http://shiningdawnbooks.com/available-units/

Depending on where you live it is probably too late in the year to find tapdpoles, but you could order some and observe their change into frogs.

Edited by Mama2two

Check local places... Our local natural history museum has a small terrarium with live snakes, a Gila monster, a huge frog, and a few other beasties. The docents will take them out. Let the kids handle them, answer questions, let the kids stay and observe, etc.

:iagree:

Because those animals are fairly easy to access, I would definitely include hands-on experience. I'm terrified of snakes but my kiddos love to handle them.

--Our local Science Museum has a "demo" with discussion about some of their friendlier critters. Usually they have a snake, a salamander, and a turtle.

--The Science Museum and the Zoo each have a collection of reptiles and amphibians. If I was planning a unit on snakes/lizards, I would make personalized books of the animals at each location. (I have done this for birds for dd).

1) Fold several sheets of printer paper in half, and staple them together with a colored cardstock cover.

2) Using the internet, print off photos of each organism. Have your child(ren) cut out the photos to glue into their books: one organism/two-page-spread.

3) Record (or have your child record) the common name of the organism and the Latin name. Consider including information of where the animal is found, whether it is endangered, and two or three fun facts.

The resulting bird book for us is perused by dd in the car on the way to the zoo; then it is used as a reference once we arrive to identify birds walking freely within the building.

This process takes a lot of paper; I have made enough of these books with dd (Volcanoes, Geology, American History, etc), that I have a template for making the books. It uses less paper in the long run, but I'm not sure that dd learns as much as she does by discussing things as she is cutting out and pasting.

You could also make lapbooks out of the information.

I'm bumping this back up to see if anyone has anymore suggestions for me to add to my list. I know he is going to love, love, love the grow a frog, he has been wanting a pet frog for awhile. So I am going to be doing some ordering soon.

Also any great book suggestions?

TIA

My DD is reptile-crazy. Along with the above resources, I'd suggest connecting with local herpetological societies, reptile rescue groups, and similar organizations. In some areas, your DS could participate in frog counts or helping expeditions. the Audobon Society has a really good US reptile/amphibian app (similar to bird watching ones) for the iPad/iPod. Reptile shows are another possibility-they're mostly over for the fall, except in really warm climates, but will be back in the Spring.

I will warn you-it grows! First yu start reading and learning about herps, then they move in. We currently have a 20 gal vivarium of Leopard Frogs and a 40 Gal one housing a 4 foot corn snake, plus a growing herpetarium of plastic reptiles and amphibians, housed in carefully set up habitats in DD's room, labeled with scientific and common names and information. She was "feeding" stuffed snakes some of the cat's toy mice today, using chopsticks as feeding tongs :). She's having a snake-themed birthday party next month, with a special visitor-A 7 foot long boa she met at a pet store's reptile night (and his owner, a young man who works as he reptile manager for said pet store). I somehow doubt the herp count is going to stop at the 6 we now have. So be prepared!

I would also add-do research before you buy a "Grow a frog". Most are non-native species, and some of the species can love a LONG time. I know a 30 yr old grow a frog (the sucker is about 8 inches long). African Clawed Frogs, which are the most common species used, are considered an invasive animal and have caused real problems in some Southern states because they've been released and thrive in the Wild.

Uncle Milton uses Southern Leopard Frogs in their sets-but be aware that Leopards won't be happy, long-term, in the habitat provided. As adults, they're about 3-4 inches long, and really need at least a 20 gallon tank, set up half land/half water, to provide jumping room. And boy, do they jump! They also require live insects once they turn into frogs.