Menu

NYC suggestions

Dd12 mentioned that she would LOVE to see Mama Mia for her 13th birthday. I was hoping to take her to see Screwtape Letters but MM has special meaning to us and it is the perfect thing to do. My mom lived her final months with us and had end stage Dementia. We used to play Abba in the mornings and she would sing the songs whether music was playing or not. She LOVED the movie with Meryl Streep and watched it in her wheel chair right in front of the wide screen, eyes wide, huge smile on her face. I have not been able to listen to the music since she died and even had to leave a store, crying, because of it. But I think I am ready, will definitely bring tissues as I am crying even as I type this. It will be SUCH a special evening. Since it is no longer showing in Boston, we are going to go to NJ, stay with friends and see MM in NYC.

Since her birthday is on a Friday night (11/30) we will probably stay the weekend and go into NY. My friend thinks the tree will be lit at Rockefeller Center by then. Does anyone know if all the Christmas decorations will be out by 12/1? Do you have other recommendations? We will be going to the 9/11 memorial. I'd like to pack a lot into the day if possible.

Thanks!

ETA: should we plan to get real dressed up that night? Like dresses?

Edited by Denisemomof4

The tree will be lit on Nov 28. All the decorations should be up by then. I suggest walking uptown on 5th Avenue for the decorations and Christmas windows, FAO Schwarz, the Bryant Park market, and walking around Times Square.

You don't have to wear dresses to a Broadway show (unless you want to, of course). I've worn anything from jeans to dress pants - it doesn't really matter. I also suggest not wearing a heavy coat. A few light/medium layers is better.

Have a great time!

My kids can't get enough of the Natural History Museum.

If it's not too cold to walk through Central Park, even 13 year-olds ride the carousel. :)

If you bring your own ice skates, it's not too expensive to skate at Rockefeller Center. You can sit and watch and sip hot chocolate. Sometimes there is a long line, but not always. I love the photos I have of my kids skating with Prometheus watching. It's so iconic.

Edited by LibraryLover

I think it's a great opportunity to go into the Met. The tree will be up and there is something for everyone. Take an online preview. And it's suggested donation so you can pay what you want. (and people do.) Go to the Met during the day and take the bus down 5th avenue to 60th street and walk down looking at the windows. Rockefeller center is so pretty at night.

Check online for discount tickets to Mama Mia. There are often coupon codes out there.

Edited by Starr

You can't go wrong with any of the museums. My kids love both The Met and The Museum of Natural History.

A stroll through central park if it is not too cold.

Top of the Empire State Building

Top of the Rock (If you are planning to see the tree, it is right there)

Serendippity for Frozen Hot Chocolate (make a reservation)

Dylan's Candy Bar

As for dress for the theatre, anything goes these days (personally, I think that is a crime). For us, when we go to the theatre we dress. Not like we are going to a cocktail party, but nicer then my stomping around the city togs. That would mean either a skirt or slacks for me and ds wears khakis and a nice button down.

The tree will be lit on Nov 28. All the decorations should be up by then. I suggest walking uptown on 5th Avenue for the decorations and Christmas windows, FAO Schwarz, the Bryant Park market, and walking around Times Square.

You don't have to wear dresses to a Broadway show (unless you want to, of course). I've worn anything from jeans to dress pants - it doesn't really matter. I also suggest not wearing a heavy coat. A few light/medium layers is better.

Have a great time!

:hurray: Thank you SO MUCH!!!