Menu

Beginner American History - Please help!

LauraGB

We love and follow SOTW. We will be starting on the 3rd set next month. Problem is - we know nothing about American History! If we didn't spend so much time loving SOTW, we might actually be on track and learning more about America by now, LOL, but that is not the case! I'm finding that its a little embarassing that we have not studied Am Hist beyond what is covered in SOTW 2, and I don't know where to start. I'm thinking I would like a thorough, chronological study. Its so hard to tell from descriptions if they are complete studies, and how honestly they approach the true stories.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

I am searching through a list of other posts about American History, and I found one for 7th grade. Wondering if those of you who have recommended the Teaching Co.'s American History series feel they are engaging enough to keep 4th5th graders interested? Same question for A History of Us. (They both sound like good options to me, though!)

Thanks!

I have a free American history curriculum here.

I'm not sure if it's what your looking for, but it worked out great for my son and I know some other moms here have used it.

And hey, it's free! ;)

:D

Another program I really like is the one Winter Promise makes. You might also want to check them out.

I used their American Story level 2 program after using my program (didn't want to spend the time back then making a 2nd year's worth).

We had a wonderful year with some really terrific books.

Otter still talks about some of the things he learned last school year. It really stuck with him.

:iagree: I was going to suggest Jenn's curriculum too. What a blessing that she's made this available. You can always use her excellent outline to just borrow one library book a week on the topics that she recommends too if you want to continue SOTW this year. I've found that my younger children learn more that way then hours of reading in depth information about every detail of a given event in history.

We love and follow SOTW. We will be starting on the 3rd set next month. Problem is - we know nothing about American History! If we didn't spend so much time loving SOTW, we might actually be on track and learning more about America by now, LOL, but that is not the case! I'm finding that its a little embarassing that we have not studied Am Hist beyond what is covered in SOTW 2, and I don't know where to start. I'm thinking I would like a thorough, chronological study. Its so hard to tell from descriptions if they are complete studies, and how honestly they approach the true stories.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

How about Bigger Hearts for His Glory from Heart of Dakota?

http://www.heartofdakota.com/bigger-hearts.php

Holly

You easily add a simple history story book to your routine without doing a whole 'nuther history stream. Hewitt sells a nice American Tales Reader that is at the third or fourth grade level. It has short biographies woven into a sweet tale of a family. My kids enjoy it and are learning a lot. It doesn't add any pressure to me to schedule another thing, but my kids at least know who George Washington and Harriet Tubman are. It will be good when hit these figures again in our regular history stream. My dd wants to read the book again when we are finished this time. After that I am going to start The American Story with them. I think CLP also sells an American History reader as do some others.

I second the idea of a reader for the children that they can do without any added pressure to you. Even if you went with something simple from Christian Liberty Press, they would at least "be exposed". The books the lady mentioned above are nothing I am familiar with, so I can not comment on them directly to second her suggestion...However, that is the idea I would go with. I have used Sonlight (3rd and 4th); while it is great, it is VERY involved, in my opinion. Hope that helps.

Thanks, everyone! I now have a good base to start my research - your input is very appreciated!

And Jenn - Oh My Goodness! What an incredible website - thank you for offering it and all the work you and yours have put into it! :)

Thanks, everyone! I now have a good base to start my research - your input is very appreciated!

And Jenn - Oh My Goodness! What an incredible website - thank you for offering it and all the work you and yours have put into it! :)

You're welcome! :D

Thank YOU for taking a look!

We did American History this past year. I found Kathy Artner's guide, published by Memoria Press, really helpful. She breaks American history down into 8 units, provides a basic fact sheet for each unit, lists study helps and provides a reading list.

Like this (from the guide):

Basic Fact Sheet

1. Chronological List of Important Events with Dates

2. People, Places and Events to Read About

3. Inventions and Innovations

4. Important Documents and Policies

5. Famous Expressions

6. Page References to "Everything You Need to Know About American History Homework."

Study Helps

7. Study Topics from E.D. Hirsch, Jr.

8. Optional Activites

Reading Lists

9. Rading Lists

10. Poetry, Prose and Songs.