Menu

Okay. Getting her tested for APD, dyslexia - and my new friend is an O-G therapist

So, I decided to bite the bullet. My little girl needs help. I am ready for "a label". She can't get by anymore on just her cute face and sit there and smile and not say a word when people ask her questions.

She did 36 visits of VT, and that helped a lot, but not enough. She really wants to read now, and that is huge (prior to VT she didn't), but she is getting frustrated that it isn't coming like she wants it too.

Reversals are huge for her, in math, in writing, in reading. Not just "b" and "d". Much more than that. She was tested at a Child Development Center last year and I was told she had all the red flags for dyslexia but was too young to test for it.

I was also told that she may have a mild case of APD. Hmmm.

I met a great new friend this summer, through my kids. It turns out she is a speech therapist trained in Orton-Gillingham. She is willing to test my dd for an APD screen, go from there, and do the other literacy, tests, etc if needed.

How do you girls think? Does this sound like a good plan? What am I missing?

I think it sounds great, but just be aware that only neuropsychologists or educational psychologists can "diagnose" dyslexia and dysgraphia (I don't know about APD).

Your friend sounds like an awesome resource and will probably be invaluable for tutoring and therapy, but if you need the true diagnoses for accommodations like an IEP or 504 plan or College Board testing accommodations in the future, she will need to be seen by a neuropsych. I'm not even sure if she can qualify for services like Learning Ally (audio recordings of textbooks) without this documentation. Just something to consider.

It turns out she is a speech therapist trained in Orton-Gillingham. She is willing to test my dd for an APD screen, go from there, and do the other literacy, tests, etc if needed.
Can I borrow your friend? :drool:

It will be great to be empowered with knowledge of what her challenges are instead of remaining unlabeled. My DD has an alphabet soup of labels - ADHD, LD, SPD, dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia and possibly APD & perichondritis. Armed with that information, I am now preparing to fight an all-out war, including trying newly approved medication, 40+ sessions of neurofeedback, 150+ hours of Orton-Gillingham, dual n-back, etc. :boxing_smiley:

Usually an audiologist will diagnose ADP not a SLP.

Otherwise, it sounds like a good plan. Finding a good O-G tutor should go along way to helping reading become easier for your daughter.

Yes, she told me this. However, to save me some trouble she is going to do some APD screening tests and then make a recommendation based on that. The audiologists in our area stink. I do already have an appointment for 1 in 2 weeks that is almost 2 hours away.