Menu

Math: What exactly to memorize?

Guest Rachaeljanae

Guest Rachaeljanae

I'm wondering, what exactly should we memorize for math? I lean toward memorizing just the multiplication fact up to 10, can anyone give me a good reason why we need to go to 12 or 15? And what other facts/rules are important to be memorized BEFORE algebra?

The deeper concepts are understood, the less there is to "memorize." Personally, I would prefer that the multiplication table be learned by extensive practice rather than memorized by rote.

I vote for knowing the multiplication table up to 12 at the very least, though up to 15 seems to come in handy, especially the squares.

The deeper concepts are understood, the less there is to "memorize." Personally, I would prefer that the multiplication table be learned by extensive practice rather than memorized by rote.

I vote for knowing the multiplication table up to 12 at the very least, though up to 15 seems to come in handy, especially the squares.

:iagree:

The 12 times table is useful for converting inches to feet. The 16 times table is useful for converting ounces to pounds. But I would not make a child memorise those, just convenient to know off the top of my head.

ETA: order of operations need to be memorised. It is easy to make mistakes on order of operations.

Edited by Arcadia

Besides multiplication, I have had my kids memorize:

Common conversions (oz/lb/ton, in/ft/yds/miles, cups/pints/quarts/gallons, every common metric measurement etc..)

Common fraction to decimals (half, thirds, fourths, fifths, eighths, tenths)

Pi

Formula for circumference and area of a circle

Formula for area of a triangle (rectangles, etc... are easy enough to figure out)

I can't think of anything else, though I'm sure there is more.