Menu

Pain meds for older kids?

We have fevers here and I can't figure out how much medicine to give my 8yo. She is the size of an 11yo and weighs 85 lbs. I don't want to use an entire bottle of children's iquid ibuprofen on her. What would be the correct doage of 200mg ibuoprofen pills? Thanks.

Edited by Stayseeliz

We have fevers here and I can't figure out how much medicine to give my 8yo. She is the size of an 11yo and weighs 85 lbs. I don't want to use an entire bottle of lchilren's iquid ibuprofen on her. What would be the correct doage of 200mg ibuoprofen pills? Thanks.

I'd give her one 200 mg dose and see how she does. If the original dose didn't cut it, I'd bump up to 400 mg on the next scheduled dose. After 400mg, I'd make some phone calls. I tend to be cautious because 'I' respond to very low doses of medication, but I have a pharmacist friend who is good about telling me how much of something you can 'really' take.

Thanks! I did the math on the liquid suspension ibprofen and figured out that she would get 300mg in that weight range but she's really on the higher end of the range. She is actually 87 lbs. I gave her one 200mg tablet and we'll see how she does. She's got a fever and says her throat and ear hurts. :(

My teen recently had similar symptoms that progressed so quickly. We had to take her to the ped. Her cold symptoms had turned into a double ear infection and was on the verge of bronchitis in just a few days. I couldn't believe it. She hadn't had an ear infection since toddlerhood.

I don't know how close you are to Maryland, but right now there is some horrible upper respiratory stuff going around that is knocking folks down all over the place.

It looks like we have strep. We ended up going to the ER since our ped isn't open when my 5yo spiked a 104.4 fever AFTER being given meds. I got abx for the two middle girls and came home and my 11yo had a fever. Argh! I'm going to try to get the ped to call in a script tomorrow.

It looks like we have strep. We ended up going to the ER since our ped isn't open when my 5yo spiked a 104.4 fever AFTER being given meds. I got abx for the two middle girls and came home and my 11yo had a fever. Argh! I'm going to try to get the ped to call in a script tomorrow.

Ah man, sorry to hear that. Hang in there. :-(

askdrsears.com has the best medicine charts. He lists medication dosages by weight and not by age.

Dosing chart at the bottom of this page. He says 350mg for 76-86lbs. and 400mg for 87-95lbs.

http://www.askdrsears.com/?q=topics/childhood-illnesses/medicine-cabinet/ibuprofen

Hope you can keep her comfortable until the meds kick in.:grouphug:

In the ER we give meds by weight in kilograms. Thus.... take your kids weight in pounds and divide by 2.2.

Then.... its 15mg per kg for tylenol and 10mg per kg for ibuprofen.

Thus..... a kid weighing 75lb or 34kg would get 340 mg of ibuprofen. (2 tabs or so or ibuprofen) You can probably get away with rounding up for ibuprofen.... but I would round down with tylenol. It is easy to give too much tylenol and very dangerous.