Menu

Playing math catch up...Ideas?

Hi. My oldest (starting 6th) knows his basic facts thanks to R&S3. Now I would like to get him up to 6th grade level quickly. Any ideas? He prefers write in texts. I have looked at TT and CD but can't afford them. Saxon is a no-no here.

Thanks so much!

With MUS, you are able to move through levels quickly. I only have the pre-algebra level, but I think the other levels may have the same format. With each lesson (concept), there are three pages of practice of that specific concept and then three pages that review that and previous concepts. If your dc shows mastery of a concept on the practice pages (I would do at least 2), you have the option of perhaps doing one review page and then moving on to the next lesson. We moved through the pre-algebra book in less than three months by going through sections dd knew quickly, but we also spent more time on concepts that were new.

There is a placement test on the MUS website. The blocks are pricey, but you may find those and the non-consumable teacher materials used for a good price.

Training5, I don't know if this is what you want to hear, but can I suggest that if R&S is WORKING, that you stick with it? I'm assuming you've already tried a number of things, and as you know, sometimes there are no quick fixes. I would endeavor to have him work diligently, maybe doing 1 1/2 lessons a day or doing math 6 days a week or going to year round (no breaks but holidays). There's probably some overlap in the books or parts that will be easy for him where he could double up. It's just there's more than the facts. He still has to conquer division, fractions, all sorts of things on his way to completing 6th grade math. And really, we're talking 3 books that you'd like to complete in the next 2 years. (4th, 5th and 6th grade books by the end of 7th) That's NOT that overmuch, really. I'll bet if he just does the math diligently, every single day, maybe doubling on easy days but especially just plowing forward and being diligent, he's going to be FINE. This is not a race to see who can get to algebra the fastest. The goal is to get there well. See if he completes a 6th grade book and really knows his stuff, he may well be ready to go into pre-algebra at that point. (The 7th gr book in some curricula is a repeat for kids for whom the 6th gr stuff wasn't mastered, kids who need more time before algebra. So by really nailing the 6th grade book and taking your time, he'd be well-prepared.) I would stick with what is working and not mess with it. R&S is making math stick for him, so stick with it!!

Is his main beef wanting something he can write in? Does R&S have a workbook for their math? (I don't know.) If they don't, can you let him write in the book and be done with it? I'm just saying I'd find a way to make it work, since the curriculum is working for him. And hurray that it's working!! :)

I'll tell you a secret:

When I pulled my ds out of 5th grade ps, I didn't realize that he had huge gaps in Math. Or, that he didn't know his facts. But, I had an Abeka 5th grade book. (which, really, is a more advanced 5th grade book than either Bob Jones or R&S).

So, in my ignorance, we started. Yes, we drilled and killed. And, when he needed extra time on a concept, we took it. We only completed about 90 of the lessons that year (though, we didn't get started til December!). And, then I moved him into BJU 6th grade - where he did fine.

From what I've seen, each traditional elementary book starts with place value, then the basic four operations, and goes on step by step from there. So, I would choose at least 5th (I'd probably just go ahead and do 6th to be honest), and then when you find a concept that needs some extra explaining and practice, take the time to master it. Don't worry about scheduling it. Don't worry about taking two or three days on one lesson. Just work through it.

(The gaps come when the book speeds over a multi-step process, and assumes the dc has already mastered one of the steps. So, you just spend some extra time explaining that step if you need to. Does that make sense?)

I just think going slowly is less stressful on my dc than moving quickly. They don't mind working hard, but they do lose their motivation to work when the amount of work exceeds "one lesson a day". But, your kids aren't mine, so their preferences may be different.

Best wishes!

Rhonda

I do not know how old your 6th grade son is. If he is typical 6th grade age - or so (10 to 11 years old) - then yes, what OhElizabeth said is right on the money. If he is younger and you just want him to be in an older grade (many on these boards tend to advance their dc) maybe you shoud rethink.

I am speaking from experience when I say that you really can not skip through these basics. I have been in this position - sadly - with all three of my sons. There is no way it works. I have tried it with varying curricula, and it always takes at least two years to cover three grades worth of work...AND my sons are math whizzes - not on the genius or "Calculus in 9th grade" level but they are REALLY intelligent and sharp!

Again, I second OhElizabeth's comments. I completely understand where you are at, and I have lived with the burden of children "behind" - not because of them, but because of our life! It is so "not fun" - for you or your children! However, there are some things you can not rush.

Life of Fred assumes that the child knows the basic facts and long division. Once they know long division they can start the Fractions book. After that is Decimals and Percents. The combination of these is pre-algebra. He starts from the ground up with these books.

If your child is a competent reader, then I recommend them. Just make sure he does all of the problems.

Btw, they can be done independently. The stories in the book teach the math.

Kimberly

Singapore :thumbup:

That's how I got my dd caught up. Give your son the placement test and start him where he places. Don't fret about the # of that level... Singapore levels are different than American grade levels anyway, so you can use that excuse if self-esteem is an issue. Then let him work through the books quickly. Much of it will be easy for him, so let him do 2 or 3 lessons a day if time permits, and then he can go slower on the ones that he has to think through and learn from scratch. I bought mine through MFW, as they include a daily lesson plan booklet, and both my older girls are doing Singapore quite independently with that. http://www.mfwbooks.com/mathsingapore.html

Meanwhile, keep drilling his math facts daily to keep them fresh. Reevaluate in another year... maybe then he can go into a "traditional" curriculum at or close to grade level.

Now, my dd has also used some of the ACE paces and Key To books for filling in gaps, but we started with Singapore (after many years of trials and tears with other stuff) and did Singapore alone for a while to build her confidence and get some of the joy back for math. Now she's ready to go back into Saxon for junior high and high school, and pleased as punch about that. ;)

I'm going to second Singapore. It really teaches the concepts and he can move through the books quickly. Singapore is fairly economical too. I also like the suggestion of Fred if he is at that point, not sure I would start it right now or not, but my dd 10 just started LOF Fractions and is LOVING it!

Singapore made her love math after Saxon made her hate it.;)

Thank you ladies for your suggestions and advice. That is one reason why I feel comfortable asking sometimes dumb questions here. I know I will always get sincere helpful responses.

We tried Singapore and it just didn't click with him or me. I think we will just have to go the snail's pace and keep plodding along. His main beef with R&S is that after the 3rd grade book, he will have to copy out the problems. Too bad.

Thank you ladies, again.

Thanks, yorkshire! That looks like what i need. i will poke around that site some more. i looked at ALEKS, too. anyone know how they compare?