Menu

5th grade grammar

Bellamoon

DS really needs some brushing up on grammar. We have Shurley English, but I feel it is too much parent work for a 5th grader. What else is out there that will help booster his grammar skills and not require me to sit with him for an hour to do one lesson. I dont mind teaching him, but an hour lesson in just one subject while I need to do K with my dd and watch my toddler just is not reasonable here.

I used Rod and Staff English with my oldest two kids for fifth grade, and will again for my current fourth grader when he gets there. Once the new book learning curve was over we didn't spend more than twenty minutes on a lesson. :001_smile:

Growing with Grammar starts at the beginning and covers more each level - meaning, you can start comfortably at 5th grade and still learn enough "5th grade grammar" if there is such a thing. It's also meant to be done 3x a week, so if you start now and work 5x a week you can finish by the end of the year. We do 5x a week with no problems. I teach the lesson out of the student manual, including all of the examples, using a white board. Then I make sure ds understands the instructions in each section, and he completes it on his own. I am involved for about 10 minutes, and he finishes up in another 20 minutes (but he is on the slower side).

We're doing Winston Grammar with my 5th grader now. She has had some previous experience with grammar, so that may be why she's doing so well with it, but it seems like it would be good even for kids without any grammar knowledge. It takes a little time for the parent to introduce the concept, then some work for dc to do on his/her own.

We're doing Winston Grammar with my 5th grader now. She has had some previous experience with grammar, so that may be why she's doing so well with it, but it seems like it would be good even for kids without any grammar knowledge. It takes a little time for the parent to introduce the concept, then some work for dc to do on his/her own.

He has plenty of grammar knowledge just seems to have forgotten it all over the summer break and then with me not liking Shurly english he is forgetting more, lol.

Thanks I ordered the Hake!

I used Rod and Staff English with my oldest two kids for fifth grade, and will again for my current fourth grader when he gets there. Once the new book learning curve was over we didn't spend more than twenty minutes on a lesson. :001_smile:

:iagree: