Menu

Need easy/good recipes to make when giving the meal to someone else

My family has a pretty eclectic eating style that I'm not sure others would enjoy. However much I desire to make meals for others (as a "thanks" or for illness/recovery/maternity/etc.), I am always afraid they would not enjoy the meal.

If you have some recipes or links to recipes that are both easy/healthy and would be well-received I would be very grateful! I want to participate in the sign-ups for providing meals, but have to come up with an arsenal of acceptable meals I could make.

Thanks so much!

Angela

Here are two I've done in the past, but not sure if people actually liked them or were just being nice. :0) We like them a lot and they freeze well.

ETA: I know I'm responding to my own post - but I thought I would at least contribute a bit and show my level (or lack there of) in cooking. LOL!

Cheesy Beef Stuffed Shells

1 lb. ground beef or turkey

1 onion chopped

2 c shredded mozzarella

1/2 c Italian bread crumbs

1/4 c parsley

1 egg, slightly beaten

dash of pepper

1 jar spaghetti sauce (not meat)

1/2 c grated parmesan

22-24 jumbo shells (cook til tender, rinse)

Cook meat and onion in skillet. Drain. Stir in next 5 ingredients and set aside.

Spoon 1/4 c sauce into 9x13 casserole dish. Stuff shells and arrange in casserole.

Spoon remaining sauce over shells.

Sprinkle with parmesan. Cook at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

Split Pea Soup

Ingredients:

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 stalks celery, chopped

1 onion, onion

3 Tbs olive oil

1-3/4 cups dried split peas

1 bay leaf

6 cups veggie broth (could be replaced with chicken broth. I use 6 cups of water with 3 large veggie bouillon cubes)

2 tsp dried parsley flakes

10-15 baby carrots, halved or quartered lengthwise depending on size (or 2-3 regular sized carrots, chopped)

3 potatoes, peeled and cubed

Directions:

1. In a skillet saute' the garlic, onion and celery in olive oil for 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.

2. Put all the ingredients in a crock pot (add the garlic, onion and celery once step 1 is complete).

3. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours (shorter/longer depending on your crock pot) until the peas are soft.

4. Enjoy with a crusty loaf of wheat bread, cheddar cheese & sliced apples and pears.

I feel the same way about providing meals for others. I would love to do it, I just can't think of what to take. I rarely sign up, but I did happen to take a meal to a friend last week.

It was shredded chicken in BBQ sauce that I had cooked in the crockpot. I included buns and extra sauce. The side was coleslaw with apples in it. It sounds odd, but people generally like it. I also baked a pan of brownies. I meant to buy a bag of chips too, but I forgot. My friend said all 4 boys liked the meal, even the coleslaw. :lol:

I always sign up. It's such a huge blessing and so easy for me. I usually just double whatever I am making for my own family.

Swedish Meatballs: Make a pkg of butter noodles. Make brown gravy (I make my own from beef stock), stir in a pint of sour cream. Heat with store bought turkey meatballs. I generally add a bag of salad and some cookies to this.

Chicken Salad: In summer I either make a big batch of chicken salad (one chicken will make plenty for both families) and send it with croissants, or I stir in pasta as a one dish meal. This one is always appreciated and easy for mom to snack on in the middle of the night.

Taco soup: the old stand-by recipe with the can of black beans, can of pinto beans, can of corn, can of diced tomatoes, ground turkey and one pkt of taco seasoning and one of ranch dressing mix. I don't remember how much water, I just add enough to make it "soupy". I always send this with a bag of tortilla chips.

Chicken, broccoli, rice casserole. Lots of cheese please!

People do get tired of chicken, so I have done pulled pork in a mild BBQ sauce too. With buns and salad.

One time a friend brought my family sandwich fixings to stock the fridge. Lunch meat, cheeses, bread, tomatoes, lettuce, even the par-cooked bacon. It was AWESOME!

Mac-n-cheese made with smoked sausage is really good. Very kid friendly but good for the grown-ups too. I like this one with a side of green beans.

I think the stuffed shells is a great one to do. My family loves split pea soup, but I don't think it's something that I would take to others, as a lot of people don't like it. My go to meal is usually lasagna, but I have done chicken enchiladas. I've seen people do a ham or brisket, but that can be expensive. I'm always looking for new ideas, because I worry that people end up bringing the same things to the same people.

get a box of pasta, some poultry sausage, broccoli and chicken broth. cook the pasta and while that's cooking brown the sausage and then add the chicken broth, then add the broccoli. when that's done put it on top of the pasta. SO GOOD! get some fresh Italian bread and shredded cheese. Everyone we make this for loves it.

I have found that lasagna is always very well received. Not too many people make it at home, so it's a treat for them to have it. The reality of making it though, is that it's actually quite easy to make once you've gotten everything assembled for it.

Taking a meal to someone has become my excuse for making lasagna for my family, because as long as I'm making one, I make two and keep one at home for us. I keep a stack of disposable foil pans on hand to make them in so that no one has to return dishes.

Here's the recipe I tend to follow. It is really NOT a traditional recipe at all, but the combination of ingredients works insanely well. The best part is that it's easy. I have been changing it up though and using a pound of ground beef plus a pound of Italian sausage- I think that is my favorite. This recipe makes one pan, double it to make two 9 x 13 pans, or just make it as written and use two 8 x 8 pans if you just need a small amount. A 9 x13 pan will feed my family at least two meals, sometimes three depending on how much garlic bread and salad we have with it.

Oh, and when I make this for someone, I bake it completely through, that way they can simply re-heat it.

Lazy Lasagna

1 pound ground beef

1 (32 oz) jar spaghetti sauce

1 (16 oz) carton cottage cheese

1 (8 oz) carton sour cream

12 uncooked lasagna noodles (not no-boil noodles)

18 ozs. shredded mozzarella cheese

1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1 cup water

Brown the beef in a skillet, drain the grease. Add the spaghetti sauce to the beef, and then set aside.

Combine cottage cheese and sour cream in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.

Spoon 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan. Place half of the uncooked noodles over the sauce, and then spread half of the cottage cheese mixture on the noodles. Sprinkle 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese on next, followed by half of the remaining meat mixture. Finally, sprinkle with 1/2 of the Parmesan cheese.

Repeat the layers starting with the noodles, and top with the last 1/3 of the Mozzarella cheese.

Very carefully then, pour the water into the pan around the edges of the lasagna. Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake in a preheated 350ºF oven for 1 hour. Uncover; bake an additional 20 minutes, or until nice and bubbly. Let stand for 15-20 minutes before cutting into it and serving.