Menu

Anyone using IB Texts?

Are any of you using IB Texts with your high schooler? I am considering using Theory of Knowledge, as well as English Literature. I was just wondering what experience people have had with these or any other IB Texts.

I have the Cambridge Theory of Knowledge. We're only on chapter 5, but I really like it. Ds is very philosophical, and it has generated some great conversations. Da has the newer version of the same book, the only difference is the new book has color printing.

I previewed some others online recently and am considering using the English Language and Literature (which is different than the English Literature), plus the 20th century World History (OUP), and maybe the one on Business & Management. I found some teacher helps at ibo.org, although I've had to dig for them.

For the TOK book I've had him:

Read part 1 Knowers and Knowing

Read part 2 Ways of Knowing (he will have a graded assignment with each chapter. He also has to answer some oral questions I pulled from the theory of knowledge guide I found here.)

I'm not sure how we'll handle the third part yet.

We opted to start with TOK as that is some of the foundation for the rest of the IB. I find the text intelligent and engaging, and it treats the student as such.

Thanks for sharing! I think we may give them a try next semester. I have looked on Amazon and so far I found one, The History of the Americas, that has a bad review and gave details. All the things that have good reviews are generic, so it could go either way. I just dislike buying something only to find I could have spent my money on something else.

Because we live only a few miles from an International School where the used book room sells IB texts for @ $2...I've picked up a bunch of them...including the TOK...

I haven't yet depended on any of them because I don't really have a 'rating' nor a clear way of figuring out 'credit' value....For math books, they are the mixed math system...so I can't give a credit...Then for the higher level subjects, since they are not linked with AP work, it is harder to figure out as well....So I use them to augment or illustrate a topic prn...but not that often really.

I do plan to use the TOK book to help with French literature analysis and composition because my ds2 said that those topics are covered within French for the Swiss matu exams....

Overall I think they tend to be less 'fluffy' than some US textbooks...

Joan