Menu

Geography Curriculum

Dustybug

I'm about 99% sure that we are going to be leaving HOD behind next year because I simply can't fathom trying to run three guides. So, I gave my two oldest a choice between a year of world geography and starting the 4 year cycle with ancients. They chose a year of world geography. I'm leaning towards using Expedition Earth from Confessions of a Homeschooler along with a ton of supplements. Any thoughts on that? Any other suggestions? They will be in 2nd grade and a mix of K/1st next year.

I haven't seen this mentioned, but I use Trail Guide to world geography. I got the CD that has all the levels on it. My 2 oldest study the same area each week, so I can read books that go along to all, but the older level just has a bit more in depth questions. This is in addition to history.

My 2nd grade dd is using the book Children Just Like Me, this web site

http://homeschoolcreations.com/Geography.html, (if you scroll down and click on a continent you will find 2 weeks of ideas and printables for different countries) , and the library.

Every two weeks we pick a different country, our 2 weeks looks something like this:

WEEK 1

Mon: introduce country, find it on large map, talk about what countries are near it, oceans, directional questions, look at books from library

Tue:label printed map

Wed: pick a geographical feature special to the country if there is one, or just a geographical feature, read about it in Geography A to Z, add it to our ongoing geography dictionary we are making...drawn pic and definition

Thurs: Paint the country's flag

Friday: listen to World Geography song that applies to our country, look at library books

WEEK 2:

Mon: Find the child representing the country in Children Just Like Me book. Read and fill in printable from web site

Tue: If there is a page in Celebrate! Children Just Like me, then read it. if not pick an animal special to the country or landmark/person/place/thing and read about it, make a notebbook page on it

Wed: listen to the language and write numbers 1-10 in their language

Thurs: pick a craft representing the country and while working on it listen to the countries music

Fri: review what we learned, make a special food dish from country, read library books

It has been fun so far. Easy and cheap.

My 2nd grade dd is using the book Children Just Like Me, this web site

http://homeschoolcreations.com/Geography.html, (if you scroll down and click on a continent you will find 2 weeks of ideas and printables for different countries) , and the library.

Every two weeks we pick a different country, our 2 weeks looks something like this:

WEEK 1

Mon: introduce country, find it on large map, talk about what countries are near it, oceans, directional questions, look at books from library

Tue:label printed map

Wed: pick a geographical feature special to the country if there is one, or just a geographical feature, read about it in Geography A to Z, add it to our ongoing geography dictionary we are making...drawn pic and definition

Thurs: Paint the country's flag

Friday: listen to World Geography song that applies to our country, look at library books

WEEK 2:

Mon: Find the child representing the country in Children Just Like Me book. Read and fill in printable from web site

Tue: If there is a page in Celebrate! Children Just Like me, then read it. if not pick an animal special to the country or landmark/person/place/thing and read about it, make a notebbook page on it

Wed: listen to the language and write numbers 1-10 in their language

Thurs: pick a craft representing the country and while working on it listen to the countries music

Fri: review what we learned, make a special food dish from country, read library books

It has been fun so far. Easy and cheap.

Thanks for the information! Sounds similar to what I have in mind!

Galloping the Globe is good for those ages.

Is that a good stand alone?

I have looked at MFW ECC and it looks really nice. This year we are going with Beautiful Feet Geography through Literature and really like it. It uses all Holling C Holling books and we love that. So, it is working for us but we do, however, throw in Evan Moore's Daily Geography as well.

Is that a good stand alone?

Not sure what you mean by stand alone. It can be just geography but it has Bible, science, and language arts suggestions as well. The suggestions are mostly in the form of Bible verses, famous people, missionaries, animals to study, and library books to get. I found it lacking in actual ideas on what to do with the information it gives. More like a list of names and topics. There are a few meal and craft ideas given. The cd that comes with it does have map pages to print and flags but also busy work type pages, plus a few blank generic notebooking pages. I personally found it more work trying to follow the guide then doing my own thing.

We are using MFW ECC (their world geography) and while we are enjoying it, I would not recommend it for the ages of your dc. I also used HOD last year, but dropped it in favor of keeping all of my dc together for bible, science, history, art, music/hymns. I also think from what I have seen of Expedition Earth and Galloping the Globe, that either would be perfect for you. All the best to you!