Menu

Animal Kingdom Classification

Entropymama

We are using the explanation of phyla in Building Foundations of Scientific Undersatnding, plus the phylum breakdown in WTM science chapter for grammar stage, plus a binder where we classify various magazine pictures as we come across them. Animal classification is sort of a favorite subject for me, for some reason. :-)

My plan is to then start making a hierarchy tree, where my DS would organize the words into a hierarchy after being handed a stack of flashcards labelled things like

Animal

Plant

Mammal

Annelid

Molllusk

Arthropod

Insect

Crustacean

Reptile

Bird

etc, etc. I'd like him to be able to assemble the basic classification tree with the major phyla, major classes, and also major orders of insects. Then, I want him to be able to list characteristics of the major phyla and classes.

It is all homemade, I don't know of a curriculum. I am using this book as a spine of sorts. Smithsonian Natural History

The one thing to be aware of is that there have been a lot of changes in the classification system in the last couple of years and most of the books won't reflect those yet. I think scientists are still debating it. So that might be one potential thing to consider. Apparently the whole idea of the "animal kingdom" may be scrapped in the future.