Menu

dreams really do come true

I couldn't figure out how to edit an old post but I just came across a post that I posted last year:

"Dd played rec basketball 3rd through 8th but had to quit due to medical reasons. She is facing another surgery in early dec and after rehab we are hoping her leg will be back to normal and she can participate in sports. She is sad since she has missed out all these years. She would love to try basketball again or possibly softball. She has never played softball. Is it too late for her to try something like this?"

I'm thrilled to announce that you were all so right when you said it is never to late to start a sport. After numerous non-stop medical problems since 7th grade my dd is finally doing great medically (except for her insomnia but we have learned to deal with that). This past spring dd announced that she wanted to learn how to play hockey. During her two month stay in bed after major leg surgery at 15 she passed time during the evening by watching hockey games. She has always enjoyed the sport but she decided then and there that she would get better and when she did that she would learn how to play hockey. (she just told me about this a few weeks ago).

So in May we signed her up for a 6 week session of ice skating since she had never ice skated before. This summer she put on hockey skates for the first time and took a 6 week "learn to play hockey" program. The director of a girls hockey team noticed her and asked if she would like to play for their team. It is a combined team so there are no tryouts. I was shocked since dd is definitely just learning. She had to hold onto the boards when she first started. The director said they took girls of all different abilities and would be happy to have my dd on their team. She had noticed dd a few weeks before and how much she had improved and how hard she was working.

So this August my dd joined the team and they had their first game this past week and she had quite a bit of ice time. Although it is obvious that she is the rookie on the team (most girls have been playing for 5+ years) the coaches are thrilled with her progress and determination.

I just can't get over the fact that in January of 2011 she was sitting in her bed recovering from major leg surgery dreaming of playing on a hockey team and now she is!