Menu

Unbelievable (youth group related...and long)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that bothers me the most about this situation is the belief by the senior pastor and youth pastor that "combining ages never works." I'm all for the youth having their time by themselves, but I also think the youth can and should also be a part of mixed ages gatherings and multigenerational activites . I also don't like the idea that the parents feel that they are not welcome to youth activities. I think parents should be involved in youth stuff.

:iagree:

I am by no means a church goer but grew up in a youth group and church with a very strict family.

My Mom got the youth pastor at ours in trouble because he gave me several Eddings books and got me hooked on Fantasy/sci fi because of my social issues.

My take on this is that he is trying to remove you, the parent, because you disagree (and rightly so, they have no business playing those games at church or a youth group) with him and he is attempting to remove the problem. I also think that he is failing to read the 'dynamics' of the group. It has to be hard drawing youth to church muchless the groups but drawing them in with violent games isn't really the answer (IMHO anyway)

Our church used to have the middle school kids and the high school kids together in one youth group. The church recently hired a new youth leader and he decided to split them up on separate days. They never asked the kids or the parents, but that is their choice and I support them. He must have had some questions about it b/c during service one week he had a 7th grade girl and a senior high girl get up in front of everyone and asked them what their interests were, and it couldn't have been more night and day. Just like middle school kids and high school kids have different interests, they also learn differently. What is age appropriate for a senior in high school is NOT age appropriate for a 3rd grader. The same goes for elementary school children, preschool, toddlers, etc. Yes, there is a time and place for multigenerational interaction, but I think that should be saved for times other than youth group and/or learning time.

Edited by somo_chickenlady

The thing that bothers me the most about this situation is the belief by the senior pastor and youth pastor that "combining ages never works." I'm all for the youth having their time by themselves, but I also think the youth can and should also be a part of mixed ages gatherings and multigenerational activites . I also don't like the idea that the parents feel that they are not welcome to youth activities. I think parents should be involved in youth stuff.

:iagree: