Menu

I have one going to PS this year for the first time ever!

My soon-to-be 10th grader is going to public school this fall. I can't believe it! It just feels so weird to say! She has wanted to go for the last 3 years and I finally decided to let her give it a try. She will actually stay at a friend's several nights/week because she's going in the town where her dad lives and it's about 45 minutes away. Once she gets her car she can drive there, but we wanted to let her start at the beginning of the year so this is how we're working it for now.

The understanding is C's or better or she will be removed after the first semester. She is determined to do it so I think she'll work really hard.

That'll leave me with 2 doing school at home (senior and 8th grader) - seems strange. Oldest dd moved out (about an hour away) and is going into her 2nd year of college. Gosh they move on don't they?

Just wanted some supportive thoughts if anyone has any...

to a Catholic school which is a 30-minute drive from our house. Yes, it feels strange to be sending them to school! Yet, we believe it's the best decision for our family, although I'm a bit hesitant with our oldest. She's quieter, and if fitting in becomes a big issue at this school we may send her to the community college, which would require her to be a much better driver than she is now!

Stacey, you're not alone in this decision; there are others who reach the same point for one reason or another with their kiddos. For us, it was a combination of factors, but primarily because my husband had health issues last fall. Even though he's made a very good recovery, we believe it's best for the whole family that I return to school and get certified to teach, which I think I'd really like to do.

Sending your dd to school is not an easy decision, but you are a diligent and caring mother and are trying to make the best decision for her. God knows that and cares about her and you!

In fact, I think there are a few I noticed over on the General Boards who are facing the same decision. I think this was the thread I noticed over there this morning. I hope that gives you some encouragement! :)

She is certainly my social butterfly. This child isn't finished one thing before she's planning the next!

I also think that she'll do well academically. I know it'll be a challenge to her because I have probably been more laid back, but she agreed to make "C's" or better to stay in. She told me she was going to work as hard as she needed to. I really think she will be MORE motivated because she will HAVE to do it to stay.

It's a fairly decent school too, in a small-ish town. They have a "freshman" high school and then the 10th-12th graders in their own school (and it's all new buildings and stuff too). It's in a real conservative, patriotic town so they keep to some traditions at this school that some others may have thrown out the window, and I'm pleased with that.

Anyway, I'll have to keep you all posted as things progress...

My oldest is starting 9th grade at a public charter school on Monday. We spent all day on back to school shopping and I have to say that going to ps is not cheaper than homeschooling! She is going through all her bags and getting it all organized.

Books for freshman year will be $650!

Wow! My dd is going to a public charter, so we don't have to pay for books or tuition. But she has a supply list for each and every class, plus there is a dress code that basically = uniforms, so even though she has plenty of clothes that fit her, we had to buy a whole new set of clothes. The most expensive item on her supply lists was a graphing calculator, but at least she'll be able to use it throughout high school. She's taking art and that is her 2nd most expensive class.

I'm glad to see all the posts here that share an excitement! Our oldest will be going to ps this year too. First time ever at an American ps. We used to live overseas, so he has attended school. He's been homeschooled for the past 4 years, but has always wanted to go back to school. So, we decided this year will be it.

In all honesty, I am more nervous about this than thrilled. It was a combo of dh's and ds's decision to do this. I am hoping he will thrive, he is a total extrovert, so at least he has that going for him. Also, he gets to take French for high school credit and his math class will earn him high school credit, which is a bonus!

Glad you all are excited! It's rubbing off on me! Whenever I talk to my IRL homeschool friends, I just get raised eyebrows!!!:)

We sent our older dd to ps for 10th grade two years ago. She has done extremely well and is thriving in this new environment. Our younger dd will do the same when she hits 10th gr. in two years.

I'm glad to hear it! And, that's what this journey is all about, right? Our kids thriving? At least it is one of the factors I take into consideration in making educational decisions! :)

I'm glad to hear it! And, that's what this journey is all about, right? Our kids thriving? At least it is one of the factors I take into consideration in making educational decisions! :)

Absolutely! And when our dd was failing to thrive at home, we made the change. It was a good one. :001_smile:

None of my other children are interested in attending school. My oldest is in college and thinks this dd is crazy for wanting to go to school. Of course, these two are polar opposites so I'm not surprised.

I was of the mindset that it had to be all or nothing, everyone or no one, but I realized that what is working for one may not work for another, and though this one has done well academically at home, she is definitely missing something the others don't seem to miss.

I'm anxious to see how it all pans out!!

I think there can be many, many advantages to this choice. Some kids will really grow and learn more in that kind of environment with that kind of cameraderie, which they just can't get at home. You will all let her know that she is still a part of your heart and homeschool, even though she is contracting out some of her education, and that will help keep her steady. Both my older kids have done some schooling outside, and gained much from it.