Menu

how long does an appointment for a crown take?

The endodontist did the root canal, and I was only there a bit over an hour. Just called the regular dentist to have the crown done and they said it will take 3 hours???? Does that seem right? (they had also said it would be 3 hours for a root canal, which is why I went to the endodontist).

The endodontist did the root canal, and I was only there a bit over an hour. Just called the regular dentist to have the crown done and they said it will take 3 hours???? Does that seem right? (they had also said it would be 3 hours for a root canal, which is why I went to the endodontist).

If you need a build up(like a filling) before the crown, our office would schedule 45 min for that appointment.

Then we would have you come back for a crown prep appointment for 1 1/2 hours.

Crown delivery a week later is a 45 minute appointment.

This is a crown, not a bridge, right? A bridge appointment can be 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Crown prep and putting the temp on takes 1.5 hours maybe at my Dentist. if they do a root canal in the middle of that, it's longer. I have never had to do it in more than one trip. ONe for the prep and temp and then on for the seating of the new crown.

3 hours is really a long time. I think the only time I was in the chair that long was when I had two crowns prepped and both needed a root canal. And I believe I was there way less than 3 hours.

You might ask if the crown can wait for a bit. I had a root canal done back in May and I still haven't had the crown put on (it was a deep cavity, so the tooth itself is still intact. . . it just won't stay that way forever). My dentist told me I could wait until after my pregnancy (and my dental benefits start over, ha ha) to have the crown done.

My dh just got back from a root canal and crown appointment. The whole thing took about two and a half hours, and it is all done in ONE appointment. They made his permanent crown right there in the office today and put it in, so there will be none of that "temporary crown", come back in a week or two to finish the job, nonsense. He is completely done.

I love our dentist and all of his bright, shiny, new technology! :D

hmm..wondering if I should call around to a few other places. I have a brand new, 2 1/2 week old nursling. He took a bottle ok for my mom during my root canal, but I hate to be gone that long if I don't have ot be.

I ended up weaning my ds because of the dental work I had done. I wouldn't hold off though. Calling around might just solve the issue with time. I ended up leaving all 3 of my kids with a very close family friend for 4 hours and it was TORTURE for me! Not the dental work, leaving my kids with someone else that long! BUT I ended up doing it every week for the entire month I got all my dental work done. $5k later I feel it was well worth it!

Then again my nursling was 2.5 years old! :lol:

Edited by mamaofblessings

My dh just got back from a root canal and crown appointment. The whole thing took about two and a half hours, and it is all done in ONE appointment. They made his permanent crown right there in the office today and put it in, so there will be none of that "temporary crown", come back in a week or two to finish the job, nonsense. He is completely done.

I love our dentist and all of his bright, shiny, new technology! :D

WOW impressive!! I had to leave the office with a temp. crown in for 2.5 weeks until my official crown came in!

WOW impressive!! I had to leave the office with a temp. crown in for 2.5 weeks until my official crown came in!

I know! I was completely surprised! This was the first time my dh walked in with tooth pain (his ancient filling broke and the tooth crumbled around it this weekend). I thought today would be an exam and x-ray for a diagnosis, then they'd make another appointment for the root canal, then another one for the permanent crown insertion. Nope. EVERYTHING was done today! And our portion (with insurance) only came to $519.40! I was giddy! I was expecting over $1,000. The dentist said it saves the patient big bucks by doing it all at once.

Have I mentioned that I love my dentist? :D