Menu

So, it's too cold to swim, right?

The kids are doing swim team at an outdoor pool. The pool is heated. This past week it was in the mid 70s and they were chilly when getting out but fine in the water.

Tomorrow the temp outside will be 50-55? I mean, that's going to be too cold, right? I'm really bad at looking at numbers and figuring exactly how cold it will feel...

If I have a towel to wrap them in when they step out, do you think they could do it?

Ds18 was on a swim team that practiced in an outdoor pool. They practiced in all weather except lightening. I still remember watching the swimmers, as they rose and fell, barely visable through the steam rising off the water, with a foot of snow on the pool deck.

Ds18 was on a swim team that practiced in an outdoor pool. They practiced in all weather except lightening. I still remember watching the swimmers, as they rose and fell, barely visable through the steam rising off the water, with a foot of snow on the pool deck.

Yep! :iagree:

That's not too cold to swim. The water is warm.

Towels are a good start, but my dc preferred parkas - at least one size too big. They are very warm and snuggly, and last for years. Mine would get out of the pool, do a quick toweling off, then bundle up in their swim parkas, with the hood up over their heads. Does your team have team parkas? They are pricey, but buy big. My dd's was two sizes too big, but she wore it for many years. Totally worth the money.

Feet get cold, so grab a pair of Uggs or an Ugg knockoff. The fleece inside is warm for those cold toes. Yes, the Uggs (or other brand) will start looking dirty because of all the water spots, but they are warm.

Another idea is fleece. Buy or sew fleece pants. I used a pattern for pajama pants and it was only two pieces. I don't sew, but I could sew these! Because they are fleece, they don't even need hemming. I got cute fleece patterned fabric and made my dc pants. They also had fleece pullovers. Fleece is warm, and it dries fairly quickly - much nicer and warmer than sweats, especially at winter outdoor swim meets when kids are in and out of the water all day long.

After a quick toweling off to get rid of most the water, wrap your dc up in a fleece blanket. They are cheap and very warm. If you want to make your dc very happy, sew another piece of fleece onto the side to use as a hood. Remember, fleece is warm and snuggly. If your dc are very cold, you can sew two fleece blankets together to get double thickness and more warmth.

We have been to meets where I couldn't see when my dc reached halfway across the pool because of steam coming up from the water. We would have to strain to see the board to see who was ahead because we couldn't see the swimmers. It is just part of being a swimmer. Sometimes the weather is cold and the kids swim in snow or rain (not in lightening, though!). It is fine as long as the pool is warm and there are hot showers in the locker room.

You, the parent, will be colder than the swimmers because you will be sitting there, watching. Bring coffee or tea and a blanket and enjoy it.