Menu

Miquon alternatives?

happypamama

What would you recommend as an alternative to Miquon for a kindergartener/first grader? Maybe even for a 4yo preschooler who was interested and ready? I do think the c-rods and other manipulatives are useful to a point (especially for beginners), but after using Miquon with two children, even with all the supplemental teacher's books, I really think I am just ready to admit that it's not a good fit for me.

I use Singapore 2 with my current second-grader, and it's a great fit for him. My almost 4yo is a totally different child, though. I think he will be ready and interested in playing with the c-rods in the next year or so.

I picked up "Making Math Meaningful, Level K" by Cornerstone Curriculum for free at a conference, and it looks like he might like it. Any other ideas for hands-on programs for young learners?

Right Start, Saxon, Math U See, Singapore are some hands on maths.

My 10yo uses Saxon and likes it; it's a good fit for her. How are the early Saxon books? I hear they are different from the later ones. I guess I'm looking for some fun math activities that will get him thinking, playing with math, etc., while he's learning the basics of addition, subtraction, etc. I don't want a lot of writing.

My 10yo uses Saxon and likes it; it's a good fit for her. How are the early Saxon books? I hear they are different from the later ones. I guess I'm looking for some fun math activities that will get him thinking, playing with math, etc., while he's learning the basics of addition, subtraction, etc. I don't want a lot of writing.

I have Saxon 1 and its a bit overwhelming when you look at the look but its easy to teach- very directed.

I think Saxon Math K is great. I'm doing it now for the second time. There's virtually no writing (occasional picture drawing), the lessons are fun, the kids LOVE the manipulatives, and it requires very little prep time from me. I also think it does a good job of creating both an enjoyment of math, and a strong basis for understanding later years' advances.

ETA: We also have Miquon. My kids like the C-Rods, and we use them to play math games (based on Education Unboxed), but they seem to get much more from Saxon than Miquon.

Mathematics Made Meaningful (not to be confused with Making Math Meaningful!) is my favorite. And there's no prep ahead of time...just sit down with the child, the rods, and the task cards.

Thanks -- that would definitely be nice, no advance prep. I'm finding it really hard to get in quality time with this child as it is, but I want to make it a priority.

CIMT-MEP Reception - we used and liked this

CSMP Math Kindergarten - we used Year 1, but not K

Modern Mathematics Made Meaningful with Cuisenaire Rods Study Kit - never used this but there are threads about it on this forum.

Great ideas -- thank you! I had looked at CSMP before for my older son; I'll have to check it out for my little guy.

Before giving up on Miquon, have you seen the Education Unboxed videos? If you have and they don't work for you, I understand, but it took me really seeing Miquon in action to fully comprehend how to teach it.

I actually have not; I hadn't realized they existed. Thanks so much for the heads-up; I will watch at least some of them first before I decide about Miquon. :)

I think Saxon Math K is great. I'm doing it now for the second time. There's virtually no writing (occasional picture drawing), the lessons are fun, the kids LOVE the manipulatives, and it requires very little prep time from me. I also think it does a good job of creating both an enjoyment of math, and a strong basis for understanding later years' advances.

Well, that sounds good too, then. I suppose I don't really have a good sense of this child's learning style yet, nor his strengths, and I suppose that's making it hard. I know that he has a TON of self-motivation and is raring to go; I want to make sure I support that without making him frustrated.

If you like Singapore, it's easy to add C-rods to it, especially since you've done Miquon before. My oldest and middle children are very different learners, and they're both using Singapore successfully. Middle child thinks in pictures and needs the hands on, so he uses C-rods. Oldest is an abstract thinker and never needed manipulatives. I just accommodate each child.

You could do the same with any other math program also.