Menu

Homemade bread question...

Have you tried the Artisian Bread in 5 minutes a day? It seriously is ahh-mazing! I use it to make pizza crust, cinnamon rolls, bread ... truly, the biggest pain in the process is having to clean the container and the stir-er thing (danish dough hook?). Oh, and having to wait 2 hours for it to rise. But that's simple to remedy: just always have some in your fridge, ready to go! ;)

My biggest issue of making bread is the prep. I like Artisan Bread In 5 Mins A Day because you can make it ahead, but even that prep is sort of daunting. Any tips?

Have you tried the Artisian Bread in 5 minutes a day? It seriously is ahh-mazing! I use it to make pizza crust, cinnamon rolls, bread ... truly, the biggest pain in the process is having to clean the container and the stir-er thing (danish dough hook?). Oh, and having to wait 2 hours for it to rise. But that's simple to remedy: just always have some in your fridge, ready to go! ;)

See bolded. ;)

I find the Artisan method to be the least amount of work of any bread recipe. I mix up a batch of dough, let it rise for 3 hours, then put it in the fridge and bake whatever portion I need. I don't think it gets any easier. Even a bread machine requires you to mix up the ingredients and then wait for 3.5 hours for it to get done.

I guess just getting everything, mixing, kneading, etc. Well ABI5 doesnt knead, but other recipes do. Then the waiting 2hrs. I guess i could get it together in the afternoon and set it out to rise overnight then bake in the AM.

We go through a lot of bread. What container do you keep the dough in the fridge in?

I guess just getting everything, mixing, kneading, etc.

Even with kneading by hand, that's only ten minutes. What am I missing?

Then the waiting 2hrs.
I was first intimidated by the process, but since I don't actually have to sit next to the dough during that time, I realized that all I had to do is simply find ten minutes early enough in the afternoon/evening to make the dough, go about my normal business while it rises, and then find a few more minutes to put it together and set for the second rise while the oven warms. I can do other stuff while it bakes.

I often bake in the evening. I only need to make sure to start early enough, and to be home while it is in the oven. During the rising time I don't even have to be in the house; I often do errands or take kids to activities (if it sits a few minutes more that won't matter).

We, too , eat lots of bread, and I bake three times a week.

Edited by regentrude