Menu

Good news

I posted a little while ago that my DD wanted to go back to public school. She did her placement testing today, and things are really, really good. She did so well that they are letting her skip 5th grade and go right into 6th (9 weeks into the school year, no less). On top of that, they are putting her in all gifted classes! Woo hoo! I still hate that she's going back to public school, but I am really happy to know that she will be sufficiently challenged and that the school recognizes and accommodates that. Yay!

Is your dd 10 years old?

If so, are you sure 6th grade is the right place for her to be? I know she can handle it academically, but is she socially ready to be in class with kids who are a year or two older than she is?

I'm just thinking that it can be difficult enough to be "the new kid" in school, but if she's also the youngest and smallest kid in class, it might be rough for her. Also, having her placed in a bunch of gifted classes is great on the surface, but those classes may be very demanding and involve a substantial amount of homework.

I'm not trying to discourage you, because I don't know your dd, but it sounds like she's in for quite a few challenges, and I want to make sure you believe she's ready for them.

Obviously, you have done a great job homeschooling her, and her test results are incredibly great -- I'm just concerned about whether or not the gifted classes in a grade higher than other kids her age, might make the transition back to school quite stressful for her.

Edited by Catwoman

Is your dd 10 years old?

If so, are you sure 6th grade is the right place for her to be? I know she can handle it academically, but is she socially ready to be in class with kids who are a year or two older than she is?

I'm just thinking that it can be difficult enough to be "the new kid" in school, but if she's also the youngest and smallest kid in class, it might be rough for her. Also, having her placed in a bunch of gifted classes is great on the surface, but those classes may be very demanding and involve a substantial amount of homework.

I'm not trying to discourage you, because I don't know your dd, but it sounds like she's in for quite a few challenges, and I want to make sure you believe she's ready for them.

These are all things I considered with sending her back to school. She's actually turning 11 on Friday. She missed the public school "cut off" date by a month, so she won't be much younger than anyone else. She's also very tall for her age, and incredibly mature. Ever since she was about 8 years old, people have mistaken her for being two or three years older than she actually is. She'll not have any problem in that respect.

It also helps that we live in a very small town. As such, she already knows quite a few kids at the school, including her best friend from dance who will be in two of her classes, and a friend from church who is in all gifted classes, too.

I'm sure she's going to be just fine. I just hate to send her "away." She's really, really excited, though, so I'm trying to be supportive. And I am incredibly proud of her. She's an awesome kid, if I do say so myself. ;)

OK -- that sounds fine, then -- I was worried that she might have just turned 10 and been tiny for her age, and that she might not know anyone in the school.

It sounds like she will do just fine! :001_smile:

LOL... I know. That always seems to be the stereotypical case, doesn't it? Actually, she took the ITBS back in January (halfway through 4th) and her average grade level equivalent was 7.5, three full years ahead! I told her, "Let's not get crazy here." :lol:

Oh, that is wonderful news, I'm so happy for you :001_smile:! I've been wondering how it was going.

I do hope she settles in well and has an enjoyable time.

(The sadness doesn't last, DS11 has been at his new school a month now and I just couldn't imagine him being anywhere else, he's having a wonderful time and working much harder than he ever did for me :D).

(The sadness doesn't last, DS11 has been at his new school a month now and I just couldn't imagine him being anywhere else, he's having a wonderful time and working much harder than he ever did for me :D).

Ditto here!

My ds (11) loves his classes, but isn't too thrilled with the long day. However, he is working very hard and is so excited to get his first progress report today!

Surprisingly, he asked me to not check his homework anymore. He wants to get it right on his own, not because I checked it and pointed out his mistakes. That surprised me because he always wanted me to check his questions, one-by-one, as he did them at home.

Oh, that is wonderful news, I'm so happy for you :001_smile:! I've been wondering how it was going.

I do hope she settles in well and has an enjoyable time.

Ditto here!

My ds (11) loves his classes, but isn't too thrilled with the long day. However, he is working very hard and is so excited to get his first progress report today!

Surprisingly, he asked me to not check his homework anymore. He wants to get it right on his own, not because I checked it and pointed out his mistakes. That surprised me because he always wanted me to check his questions, one-by-one, as he did them at home.

Thanks, y'all. These make me feel better. I didn't want her to go, but I am feeling much better about the decision.