Menu

Should we drop WWE or stick with it? Also, level for Writing Tales?

Halcyon

My younger (7) is on Week 24 of WWE3 and he does well with it but is no longer enjoying it. He is a natural writer who truly has loved writing stories, poetry and comics in the past, and i do not want his dislike of this curriculum to influence his love of writing. That said, he is also my student who enjoys changing things up a little TOO much for my liking, and it s a fine balance to know when to move him. I Am not a curriculum hopper at all, and planned to complete WWE3 before moving on. The curriculum i have been eyeing is Writing Tales, but am not sure which level one wold move into after (mostly?) completing WWE 3.

Edited by Halcyon

My younger (7) is on Week 24 of WWE3 and he does well with it but is no longer enjoying it. He is a natural writer who truly has loved writing stories, poetry and comics in the past, and i do not want his dislike of this curriculum to influence his love of writing. That said, he is also my student who enjoys changing things up a little TOO much for my liking, and it s a fine balance to know when to move him. I Am not a curriculum hopper at all, and planned to complete WWE3 before moving on. The curriculum i have been eyeing is Writing Tales, but am not sure which level one wold move into after (mostly?) completing WWE 3.

If he is capable of doing WWE3 fairly well, and has had some basic grammar, I'd move to WT2 if I were you. I did WT1 first, and had to beef up the grammar bits. I chose to back up a bit to WT1 because my son's perfectionism was hamstringing us. By starting "back" a bit, and moving ahead from there, he developed more confidence. (Plus, his spelling perked up, which slowed his writing down. Heaven forbid he misspell something!)

We have enjoyed the detour through WT, but I'll be happy to get back to WWE when we are done.

In my opinion, if you have a 7 year old who is doing well with WWE3, you have a 7 year old who has already received what he needed from the program. I wouldn't view it as curriculum hopping in the least. Rather, I would view it as him having maxed out on the program. Additionally, of no small importance, if you have a natural writer who is starting to begrudge writing, it's time to move on.

Thank you very much for your feedback. I forgot to mention that this is a child who does not like to be pushed particulalrly hard, despite his abilities,mand prefers to spend the day curled up with a book. :tongue_smilie: The grammar looks easy for him, and the stories are more simple than WWE3, but i get so torn between pushinh him a bit and "letting him enjoy himself"-doesmthis make sense? He will be doing KISS grade3 concurrently.

As much as we liked WWE3, we got a bit bored with it after a while. We then did WT1 (4th) and WT2 (5th). WT was a big hit. I could have probably put her into WT2 right away but I think the easy pace of WT1 was good for this dd who was a good writer but didn't like the process of writing. She then went of to WWS1 and was very successful and liked it a lot.

We are supposed to be Beta-testing WWS2, but we are doing Jump In at the same time in a coop class and time is getting away from us with medical issues, etc. FWIW, dd is finding Jump In very, very easy after WWS1. Jump In teaches the five paragraph essay in a painless way, and I think it could be a low-stress complement to WWS for people who are worried about getting that skill down. It also allows room for creative expression, even if it's not creative writing.

Thank you very much for your feedback. I forgot to mention that this is a child who does not like to be pushed particulalrly hard, despite his abilities,mand prefers to spend the day curled up with a book. :tongue_smilie: The grammar looks easy for him, and the stories are more simple than WWE3, but i get so torn between pushinh him a bit and "letting him enjoy himself"-doesmthis make sense? He will be doing KISS grade3 concurrently.

One can easily make the WT1 writing more difficult by simply expecting more detailed work.

Do you mean the grammar and stories are easier in WT? If you're looking for more challenging, we moved from WWE 3 to Classical Writing Aesop. I've "heard" that it is somewhat similiar to WT but don't quote me on that because I've never seen WT. ;) I used it with my 7 yr old last year and he did really well with it. I plan to use Aesop B with him this year.

It sounds to me like you've gotten as much out of WWE as you're going to get right now, and Writing Tales is fantastic, so I wouldn't feel bad about switching. That's not curriculum hopping, it's moving on.

My 4th grader is about halfway through WT2 and my 3rd grader is just starting WT1. I would probably start with WT1 in your situation. I think the shorter stories in WT1 are great for a natural writer, where the focus can be on improving the quality of the writing, not just on getting it done. You'll probably want to speed through or skip some grammar sections, and he'll get through each level in less than 30 weeks. I love WT so much that I'd want to get as much time out of it as possible. :)

I would drop anything that threatened to kill the love of a subject like a hot potato. I don't know anything about WT, but we ended up switching to Writing Strands and it has been much more enjoyable for the kids than WWE.

Thanks Kam. Yes, i stopped WWE for what i thought would be a temporary break and have been using Story Starters which ds loves. I have ordered WT1- if that doesnt prove to be the right level, we will just move more quickly or skip the grammar sections.

This is my "writing" son and i absolutely dont want to kill his love of writing. We might do The Creative Writer afterwards.

:)