Menu

Today: My first day GF/DF

Okay, so my daughter has been working on me for two years. And because of my Hashimoto's (TSH good, still majorly symptomatic) and other issues, I've decided to go for it.

I'm scared.

But if I feel better.... Obviously, my daughter has had awesome results and the slightest exposure to gluten puts her back where she was. So I'm hoping for similar for me.

Anyway, any other awesome stories are greatly welcomed. Any other support also.

I just don't want to eat junk and I'm afraid of starving. I know it is silly. I've given myself lists of stuff TO eat and I still am freaking.

In other news, we're having Pumpkin Chia muffins for breakfast. I am thinking of putting "cream cheese" (not dairy, obviously) on mine. I don't usually do bread products for breakfast, but....Well, I could have it as a mid-morning snack instead, doing a cappuccino protein shake or green smoothie for breakfast instead. Hmmm, decisions decisions....

I've been DF/GF for almost 3 years. Cannot begin to tell the differences it has made. Well, I'm also soy and egg free but those don't effect me as much as dairy/gluten. It really is not that bad. It feels that way in the beginning, but now, I really think little to nothing of it. I have definitely cheated many a time...but feel so bad afterwards, it puts me back on the straight and narrow pretty fast.

Almond milk is my favorite. Udi's gluten free bread is probably my favorite bread. I've also found a brown rice tortilla I really like as well. But, I really am mainly plant based and just eat lots of fruit/veggies/beans/rice. There are so many great resources on line. Good luck!

I agree that GF is not as hard as DF. We found out we don't have to be entirely DF, but dd tries not to get much dairy. I went GF with her, mostly out of sympathy, but I was shocked at how much better I felt and how quickly (like two days). It's not as hard as it sounds when you get used to it, but there certainly is an adjustment period.

You can do it! I am gf/df for Hashimoto's and I feel much better-many years of nagging rashes and stomach issues have cleared up and my Hashi's antibodies went down last time I checked. I am one of those that does not react immediately to gluten, but it's a delayed reaction. In other words, after a gluten free trial, it took a couple of weeks back on gluten to realize how bad I was feeling. Dairy is more immediate for me.

Elimination diets aren't a cure all, but made an amazing difference for me. Good luck!

I wish you much luck!

I have to strongly disagree that DF is easier than GF. If you are just DF there is a lot you can still eat when your out, the choices for GF eating when out are minuscule. You can still have normal grain products fairly easily when your DF but your choices when GF are either make yourself, buy nasty stuff or spend a bunch. You have a lot more normal choices when you are just DF. GF is a lot harder socially.

We normally just make everything homemade here but it is nice to sometimes have an option, especially when your tired, or in a hurry or such. I was DF for few years before going GF, now I've been GF for 4+ years and was strictly dairy for for 3 yrs or so, now I eat some limited dairy.

Awesome! For my family the key is fresh fruits and vegetables at all times. The GF/DF waffles by Van's are great in a pinch! Eating out is typically fish, veggies and a salad. I also don't eat meat except fish and just eggs. We love almond milk. There are so many great blogs and cookbooks than there were even a year ago. Good timing!