Menu

S/O: Hanukkah!

There are X-Mas threads, why not a Hanukkah one? :)

Anyone have plans forming? Gifts? Food ideas? Anything you are doing different? Can you share where you buy your Hanukkah related items (Menorah/Dreidel/ Gelt/ etc)

Last year I kept it very simple but we missed having the awesome food. This year I want to get more decorations and get a better menorah. I want one of the really colorful ones or even a wood one. I also want to try to make some really yummy foods. Gifts will likely be simple again- but i think ill branch out and do homemade.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwDMmNWMSU1p6uCpNa7GKj-QdPGjCZDhnnW7zfcV_GRwS64cvFKg

We attempt, each year since dd was born, to celebrate Hanukkah to some degree. Her birth mom was Jewish, so we try to do something. We usually read books, have a menorah, make a handprint menorah, play Dreidel, cook some foods (latkes are our favorite!), and give a gift each night.

Thats nice that you do it because of her BM. :D

I am already done shopping for 6 nights -- and I only buy for 7 because I keep one night open for gifts from grandparents. We always do a special meal on the first night -- latkes, homemade applesauce, etc. This year may end up being pretty hectic because my grandma is turning 85 the weekend Hanukkah ends, and if we travel to see her it will end up being a much bigger celebration than we usually have. I don't have family nearby, so my kids are used to doing small-scale Hanukkah, then Christmas stuff with DH's family.

I have one menorah from when I was in college, and a bigger and fancier one that I got the year DH and I got married. I haven't bought dreidels in ages, but I have seen them at Target the past couple of years.

Last year I used this book as a read-aloud, and I may reread it with the kids this year.

We usually use a menorah that the kids made. Of course dh makes latkes, yum. We always send some to our next door neighbor who loves them. We buy the kids 8 gifts each and they open a random gift on each night of Hanukkah. We usually read stories about Hanukkah and get together with family one night. I have not done ANY shopping or planning yet, I prefer to do Halloween first lol.

"la la la la la la" Not listening. I am not prepared to think about Chanukah,

Our standard tradition, now that the kidsa re older, is they each have a Menorah to light. One was an engagement gift when dh and I got married and the other is the Menorah from my childhood. Each year the kids alternate which Menorah they light.

We go to my in-laws for one of the nights. This year I am not sure it will actually be during Chanukah as we are following when my neice will be home from college. My MIL does make the best latkes.

When the kids were little we did 8 nights of gifts. Now we do one big gift and gelt on the other nights.

Of course, on the first night we have jelly donuts.

I don't go all out on the decorating. We have some dreidel lights that I put up on the mantel. Last year my Happy Chanukkah door hanger broke so I will be looking for a replacement.