Menu

Workbook style highschool physical geography?

Dd14 is doing Glencoe World Geography with the MODG syllabus in addition to using several world mythology and religion books. I was going to provide a physical geography aspect on my own, but...I'm tired.:tongue_smilie: I need something pre-made, quick, open and go. Inexpensive would be nice too.

Any workbook style options out there for the highschool level? I don't really want anything with a lot of text included...just looking for map work.

Thanks.

You could print blank maps of continents off the Internet, and she can make a folder. I did this for dd last year with Geography. I also printed lists of countries by continent and had her label the blank maps. Then she took each country and listed its capital, major geographical points (rivers, mountains, etc), presidents, what it's best known for, etc.

I used this as a supplement to Lifepac Geography, and it worked great- she learned a lot. and was free besides the printer ink!

Dd14 is doing Glencoe World Geography with the MODG syllabus in addition to using several world mythology and religion books. I was going to provide a physical geography aspect on my own, but...I'm tired.:tongue_smilie: I need something pre-made, quick, open and go. Inexpensive would be nice too.

Any workbook style options out there for the highschool level? I don't really want anything with a lot of text included...just looking for map work.

Thanks.

I hate to ask this but I can't find an MODG Syllabus that uses Glencoe. All I can find is one using the Ultimate trailguide to World Geography which sounds too young for my 12 and 14 year old. If I am wrong about the too young part please correct me. I really need to find a good geography course. The Glencoe plus other books sounds perfect.

Not sure if this is helpful but Evans Moor makes some good geography worksheet books. I have a rather old one given to me by a friend that I like. Maybe something suitable can be found there.

Edited by sawuk

I've mentioned this before (maybe not on this subforum), but in the past I've had the kids do geography off of our local newspaper. Print out a blank world map, give them the international section of the newspaper, and then have them color in the countries that are referenced in each news article. If it's a clash between two areas (as it unfortunately so often is these days) the student can indicate the countries involved.

When we've done this it has really piqued the interest of the kids (I need to do it again!).

Edited to add:

We've also done the Trail Guide to World Geography, and I did not do all the supplemental work. If you stick to what is covered in the student workbooks, it can be an open and go book; I know this is likely a disservice to the overall curriculum, which can be so much more, but if you're wanting something more independent...

Edited by Kate in Arabia

I hate to ask this but I can't find an MODG Syllabus that uses Glencoe. All I can find is one using the Ultimate trailguide to World Geography which sounds too you for my 12 and 14 year old. If I am wrong about the too young part please correct me. I really need to find a good geography course. The Glencoe plus other books sounds perfect.

Not sure if this is helpful but Evans Moor makes some good geography worksheet books. I have a rather old one given to me by a friend that I like. Maybe something suitable can be found there.

You can't find it because it doesn't exist! :blushing: I am so sorry. I meant to say that I'm using the Oak Meadow Syllabus. The MODG syllabus is for her Latin. I had just been sorting through both of these subjects and got the syllabi confused.

I hadn't thought of EvanMoor, I'll look into those. Thanks!

I think you might be getting two books confused. The Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide would be fine for the ages of your dc. The Trailguide to World Geography, in my opinion is too light on it's own. When I used it for 6th grade I had to heavily supplement it with other things.

Speaking of TUGaTG, I do have that...I'll have to dig it out and see what the highschool portion includes.

My dc are doing world geography this year and I toiled over how we would tackle the physical geography, too. I looked at maps until my face turned blue. Now I know others have mentioned printing maps on 8 1/2" x 11" paper from the internet and that IS a fine way to do it. However, both of my dc felt like everything was too crowded on the small map making them difficult to read/study. So, I bought the large paper maps made by Geography Matters for $11.75. This is a kit of continent maps. One side is a black & white political map with country boundaries. Lakes and rivers are also printed in light gray. On the other side is a BEAUTIFUL physical map in color. Shades of browns, yellows, greens, and blue are used to see the topography and bodies of water on and around each continent. They are combining this with the Kingfisher Geography Encyclopedia (newest edition) and my 9th grader is also researching from the CIA website. I know this isn't a "workbook" approach like you desired, but I can tell you, it will get the job done in terms of learning the physical geography of the world.

Here's the link to a description of the maps at Rainbow Resource:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/007475/fdefaa6aa9cd8f08473693d9

Hope this helps in some way,

Jennifer

I've mentioned this before (maybe not on this subforum), but in the past I've had the kids do geography off of our local newspaper. Print out a blank world map, give them the international section of the newspaper, and then have them color in the countries that are referenced in each news article. If it's a clash between two areas (as it unfortunately so often is these days) the student can indicate the countries involved....

This is a great idea and could be independent for her too. Thanks.

Jennifer

Oh, those are great! This dd does not like labeling and coloring maps for the exact reason you mentioned. I think these would be better for her, not to mention my younger dc as well. Thank you!

Oh, those are great! This dd does not like labeling and coloring maps for the exact reason you mentioned. I think these would be better for her, not to mention my younger dc as well. Thank you!

You're welcome. I forgot to mention that they fold up into an 8 1/2" x 11 size, so my dc keep each continent in its own sheet protector in a 3 ring binder. This makes it easy to pull out & put away each day. At my house, if there's not a good system like this, things get misplaced or torn up!

You can't find it because it doesn't exist! :blushing: I am so sorry. I meant to say that I'm using the Oak Meadow Syllabus. The MODG syllabus is for her Latin. I had just been sorting through both of these subjects and got the syllabi confused.

I hadn't thought of EvanMoor, I'll look into those. Thanks!

I think you might be getting two books confused. The Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide would be fine for the ages of your dc. The Trailguide to World Geography, in my opinion is too light on it's own. When I used it for 6th grade I had to heavily supplement it with other things.

Speaking of TUGaTG, I do have that...I'll have to dig it out and see what the highschool portion includes.

Don't worry about it--I just could not figure out what I was missing on that website. We like MODG for latin too, so it sounded great for geography. I will take a look at the Oak Meadow one later. Your description of it sounded like something dd14 would enjoy.

If you do look at the Ultimate trail guide please let me know what you think of the high school portion. I did think it was the other trail guide book which I had a long time ago and never used. We did love the Galloping the Globe by the same company just never did the second one.

I just discovered that the worksheet book that I have now is by Teacher Created Materials and is called Challenging World Geography. I have used EvanMoor in the past. Sorry.

You could print blank maps of continents off the Internet, and she can make a folder. I did this for dd last year with Geography. I also printed lists of countries by continent and had her label the blank maps.

We did something similar to this except that we had DD label the countries in the continent from memory, then use a map to complete and correct what she had. She did the same continent every day until she was able to complete it correctly on her own. Then we moved to the next continent.

We came up with this after I looked high and low for an age appropriate open-and-go workbook to supplement the other things we were using for world geography. I couldn't find anything that I liked.

If you do look at the Ultimate trail guide please let me know what you think of the high school portion. I did think it was the other trail guide book which I had a long time ago and never used. We did love the Galloping the Globe by the same company just never did the second one.

I browsed through the highschool portion of it a little while ago. Basically they give the student a black line map and then have lists of different things to mark on a map for each continent.

Physical features, countries and their capitals, lines of longitude and latitude, rivers, bodies of water, mountains, landforms/regions and major cities are the list headings.

Then there is a list of questions, anywhere from 10 up to 30, for the dc to answer for each continent. Some of the questions are: What's the oldest capital in the Americas? What three natural disasters, prevalent along the eastern part of South America, are associated with tectonic activity in the area? Which Asian country has the highest population density?

There is also a list of 10 essay questions to pick from.

Earlier in the book, in the middle school section, there is a lesson for each continent that gives basic facts, a list of about 40 items to mark on the map, and then a "close-up" look at several countries within that continent. This includes, basic facts, climate, vegetation, animals, resources, exploration, and some little known trivia.

The beginning of the book goes over basic geographical terms, ideas on how to implement the book, very rudimentary explanation of human geography and the five themes of geography, and a unit on teaching geography across the curricula. Lastly, in unit 6, there is information and resources for doing timelines.

So, if I needed a straight up physical geography workbook for a highschool student this would not be the one I would purchase. I think this is a great resource for someone just starting to teach geography to a grammar or logic stage student, and it was definitely helpful last year as a supplement.

I may use it since it's on my shelf, but only if I can't find something else I like better.:tongue_smilie:

I know you said workbooks, but if you don't mind using the internet, this site has a great geography section. I used it with one of mine a while back. She did the thing where you place the countries into each continent. She did one at a time until she got it perfect. Lots of great stuff here. If you scroll down you can see that they even have geography for high school, college, and adult levels.

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/

Thanks.

I am on the lookout for the same thing. So far I haven't found what I'm looking for. This series has come closest, but I haven't ordered it b/c I'm still hoping to find some thing better. I also have bookmarked several sites that do a good job showing physical geography, and quizlet has some good info too.

I'd love to know if anyone knows a good workbook approach. There seem to be loads of books addressing political and historical geography, but not as much available for physical.

My dc are doing world geography this year and I toiled over how we would tackle the physical geography, too. I looked at maps until my face turned blue. Now I know others have mentioned printing maps on 8 1/2" x 11" paper from the internet and that IS a fine way to do it. However, both of my dc felt like everything was too crowded on the small map making them difficult to read/study. So, I bought the large paper maps made by Geography Matters for $11.75. This is a kit of continent maps. One side is a black & white political map with country boundaries. Lakes and rivers are also printed in light gray. On the other side is a BEAUTIFUL physical map in color. Shades of browns, yellows, greens, and blue are used to see the topography and bodies of water on and around each continent. They are combining this with the Kingfisher Geography Encyclopedia (newest edition) and my 9th grader is also researching from the CIA website. I know this isn't a "workbook" approach like you desired, but I can tell you, it will get the job done in terms of learning the physical geography of the world.

Jennifer

Thank you, Jennifer. This approach looks like it would work for us. For anyone interested, here is the link to the maps on the Geography Matters site. It shows what the maps look like better than RR.

I just discovered that the worksheet book that I have now is by Teacher Created Materials and is called Challenging World Geography. I have used EvanMoor in the past. Sorry.

I would also like to hear about the Ultimate trail guide and how much it covers for high school. I think Jennifer's approach will work well for us though.

I know you said workbooks, but if you don't mind using the internet, this site has a great geography section. I used it with one of mine a while back. She did the thing where you place the countries into each continent. She did one at a time until she got it perfect. Lots of great stuff here. If you scroll down you can see that they even have geography for high school, college, and adult levels.

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/

Just wanted to say thank you for this link. Dd14 played it for an hour or so tonight and has Europe with capital cities pretty much mastered--admittedly it should be the easiest since we live there. She likes it! DS12 is a hard sell but did play longer then anticipated.

Aime--thank you so much for looking at the Ultimate trail guide for me. I had started convincing myself we needed it. It probably is not the best choice for us. So you saved me money!:001_smile: I did look at Oak Meadow. It looks interesting but the World Mythology tie in was the best part and you are the one who added that! I have time so .......we'll see how the game works.