Menu

Getting DD to use both hands (a writing question)

alisoncooks

My DD has an interesting habit (?). She refuses to use her left hand to "assist" her right hand when she is writing (like holding the book still). I'm not sure if she's refusing to do it because I suggest it (:glare: ) or what....? But she'll let her writing page/book slide all over the place before using that "extra" hand to hold it still.... She keeps that hand on her lap (or sits on it... or props it on her hip). This child is very athletic/coordinated/strong, so I don't think it's a matter of a physical problem, but I could be wrong...

Also, though she is right-handed, she "hooks" her wrist around, like a leftie might. I've tried to show her how to keep a semi-straight wrist and write from below the letter, not above/over it. I think this is the main reason she continues to misform certain letters (starting many from the bottom up).

Anyone deal with either of these issues? How did you remedy them (or did you even bother)? Thanks!

I haven't dealt with that particular problem, but I will say that I think any child who is showing handwriting difficulties can benefit from an occupational therapy evaluation. I think handwriting is *that* important! We did struggle with handwriting difficulties when my ds was younger. The holding her hand in various places while she writes is what would send me in for an eval.

You could make a cut-out of her hand and place it down when she writes and have her use that. Also have her do most of her handwriting practice on a slanted surface. A tabletop easel or a really thick 3 ring binder. Also use various pencil grips and even shorter pencils (like the kind for scoring golf games). Also consider using the Handwriting Without Tears workbooks.

These are all things that we did with my ds when he was young. He was in OT as well. His handwriting today is gorgeous and a non-issue.

Preface: no experience in this happening

Doesn't it just stink that printing starts at the top, yet cursive starts at the bottom?

My 7yo still starts some of his letters and numbers at the bottom. I just try to remind him when I see it, but then I think, he'll be ahead once he starts cursive.

Do you think your daughter might want to start cursive? Just a thought.

I don't think anything is wrong, she just wants to write that way.

My middle son grabs his pencil very strange, but he is correcting himself as he learns cursive.

My dd does the same thing. I don't have a solution yet so I will be watching this thread. She also hooks her hand but not all the time. She refuses to start at the top of the letter when writing. I get so frustrated watching her and trying to correct her because she won't listen. My dd is 5 so I'm thinking that starting cursive is not a solution since she probably is too young? Anyway, I will be watching for ideas!

My dd does the same thing. I don't have a solution yet so I will be watching this thread. She also hooks her hand but not all the time. She refuses to start at the top of the letter when writing. I get so frustrated watching her and trying to correct her because she won't listen. My dd is 5 so I'm thinking that starting cursive is not a solution since she probably is too young? Anyway, I will be watching for ideas!

Abeka starts cursive in first grade. You might can check around and see what others say about starting it that early with abeka.

My seven yo begged to do cursive, my oldest wanted to do cursive at six. And they are boys! Ha ha!

Check her pencil grip. My oldest does a thumb wrap, and it ends up causing him to hook his right hand in that manner. He also didn't like to use the other hand to hold the paper. I just kept putting his hand back there (with a smile on my face ;)), we used HWT to correct letter formation from the bottom up (he'd gone a year and a half in school doing that), I watched him like a hawk every time he wrote (he didn't write outside of school on his own, so it wasn't that hard), I gave him a writing surface at proper height where he could put his feet down (school desk/chair or one of those special chairs with a foot platform for a kitchen table - we have both), and I gave him a pencil grip that prevents the thumb wrap. I do notice that even after using the pencil grip for over a year now, he still thumb wraps if not using the grip. :tongue_smilie: He doesn't hook his hand as much now though, and his handwriting is looking pretty nice.

We just started learning cursive, and I will say that cursive is a lot harder for him than people often make it out to be. He's forming letters fine, but it takes a lot of thought to connect them. That's the issue I always had with cursive and still do to some extent (I use cursive exclusively when doing my Bible lessons each week, so I'm practicing regularly and really USING it... I still don't find it easy enough to take legible notes quickly or anything like that, and I don't think I ever will).

I use the handwriting instructions in Writing Road to Reading 6th edition and How to Tutor. I frequently tutor left-handed remedial students, with horrendous handwriting.

I no longer play games with students. Either they are looking for handwriting remediation from me or they are not. I have developed a program I believe deeply in, and it's an all or nothing deal. I went through a period of trial and error and negotiations and am past that now.

WRTR and HTT have very explicit instructions about EVERYTHING, including where to put the hands and even the feet. I use lowercase cursive combined with uppercase manuscript and all writing is vertical not slanted, for everyone. If they want to experiment AFTER my instruction, they are free to do so, but instruction time with me is rigid and exact, and one size fits all.

It took two years of experimentation to find something I believe this deeply in, and that I am sure will work with most LD students. My confidence is contagious and my rigidness is a source of amusement to my friends/neighbors/students. I've been nicknamed all sorts of 19th schoolmaster characters. I don't know if I'm wrong, but this is just how I do it. They say I'm "no nonsense", as they snicker to each other.

I use the handwriting instructions in Writing Road to Reading 6th edition and How to Tutor. I frequently tutor left-handed remedial students, with horrendous handwriting.

I no longer play games with students. Either they are looking for handwriting remediation from me or they are not. I have developed a program I believe deeply in, and it's an all or nothing deal. I went through a period of trial and error and negotiations and am past that now.

WRTR and HTT have very explicit instructions about EVERYTHING, including where to put the hands and even the feet. I use lowercase cursive combined with uppercase manuscript and all writing is vertical not slanted, for everyone. If they want to experiment AFTER my instruction, they are free to do so, but instruction time with me is rigid and exact, and one size fits all.

It took two years of experimentation to find something I believe this deeply in, and that I am sure will work with most LD students. My confidence is contagious and my rigidness is a source of amusement to my friends/neighbors/students. I've been nicknamed all sorts of 19th schoolmaster characters. I don't know if I'm wrong, but this is just how I do it. They say I'm "no nonsense", as they snicker to each other.

:lol: Although the books we use are different. I'm the same way. I'm strict about handwriting.

Does she use two hands well together for other activities? Snap beads, cutting with scissors, etc. involve the use of two hands simultaneously. OTs refer to this as bimanual integration.

Here are some activities that involve bimanual integration.

http://therapyfunzone.com/blog/ot/fine-motor-skills/bilateral-integration/

Would these be difficult for her?

If you are concerned, an eval with an OT could give you more info about whether she has core strength issues (the "extra" hand is often used to stabilize and you need good strength in the core/shoulder girdle for example before you can do a good job with fine motor skills), a bimanual integration issue, etc.

DOes she stabilize the paper to draw vs. when she writes?

Edited by Momof3littles

Oy, I know what you mean. My youngest son is like this. The extra hand thing I just keep reminding him and physically placing his hand there if needed. The hook thing we're working on but it's hard, I notice he does it more if I allow him to use the quad grip he prefers. I put a stetro grip on his pencil to help him use a tripod grip and the hook is better when I do that. This kid has always puzzled me in this area, he's almost like an exact replica of my younger brother, except that my brother is a lefty and my son is a righty, although I often think my son could be a lefty if he wanted, he can easily switch hands for sports and other things, if he tried he probably could for writing.

My DD has an interesting habit (?). She refuses to use her left hand to "assist" her right hand when she is writing (like holding the book still). I'm not sure if she's refusing to do it because I suggest it (:glare: ) or what....? But she'll let her writing page/book slide all over the place before using that "extra" hand to hold it still.... She keeps that hand on her lap (or sits on it... or props it on her hip). This child is very athletic/coordinated/strong, so I don't think it's a matter of a physical problem, but I could be wrong...

No advice, but my DS does this too. He absolutely hates having to hold the paper/book still while he writes. He gets very irritated that there are "rules" for writing, and growls when I remind him to hold his paper or book still. He would rather slump over to the side and have the free hand hold him up, mostly because he just doesn't want to do any writing. But really, when he doesn't hold the paper still, his writing gets wobbly. It's not that he can't do it, he just doesn't *want* to.

No advice, but my DS does this too. He absolutely hates having to hold the paper/book still while he writes. He gets very irritated that there are "rules" for writing, and growls when I remind him to hold his paper or book still. He would rather slump over to the side and have the free hand hold him up, mostly because he just doesn't want to do any writing. But really, when he doesn't hold the paper still, his writing gets wobbly. It's not that he can't do it, he just doesn't *want* to.

Yes! This sounds exactly like my DD.

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm glad (and sorry, :grouphug: ) to hear that my DD isn't the only one like this.

She is very strong and coordinated, otherwise. A natural athlete, great core strength.... but has developed some bad habits (hooking the hand) and some bad attitudes (refusing to hold the paper still when I suggest it :glare: ) that I think we just have to work through.

Again, thanks for all the responses!