Menu

LEGO Great Ball Contration

My kids showed me the video. It is way cool. We've seen one in action at Brickfair a couple of times. The guys there said that different people build different pieces. Then, when they get together, they put the pieces together and make them work in a big loop like that - they said it's a little different from time to time.

That is a cool video. Thanks!

My kids showed me the video. It is way cool. We've seen one in action at Brickfair a couple of times. The guys there said that different people build different pieces. Then, when they get together, they put the pieces together and make them work in a big loop like that - they said it's a little different from time to time.

Did I see you mention a long time ago that your boys have their own news pages with blog links and whatnot for when they're online? I remember someone had this set up for their kids. As mine get older (and I am more agreeable to opening up the world to them :tongue_smilie:), I am giving thought to this. We discuss current events as part of together time in the morning but I like the idea of them having some kind of age-appropriate news feed that enables them to bring stuff up with me instead of me always bringing stuff up with them. But I also want to keep them safe from the seedy, disgusting side of the internet...and gratuitous violent news that does not benefit them in any way. News about earthquakes and other natural disasters? Yes. News about the Colorado shootings? Not yet. Any advice? Care to share? :D I can open up a new thread...

My kids are too young, so I had no idea stuff like this existed!

My boys are slightly older. At your children's age, they enjoyed making their creations using ideas from these books as inspiration:

The LEGO Technic Idea Book: Wheeled Wonders

The LEGO Technic Idea Book: Fantastic Contraptions

The LEGO Technic Idea Book: Simple Machines

We bought our boys 2nd hand LEGO gears and technic parts from our local LEGO User Group annual "yard sale".

That is a cool video. Thanks!

Did I see you mention a long time ago that your boys have their own news pages with blog links and whatnot for when they're online? I remember someone had this set up for their kids. As mine get older (and I am more agreeable to opening up the world to them :tongue_smilie:), I am giving thought to this. We discuss current events as part of together time in the morning but I like the idea of them having some kind of age-appropriate news feed that enables them to bring stuff up with me instead of me always bringing stuff up with them. But I also want to keep them safe from the seedy, disgusting side of the internet...and gratuitous violent news that does not benefit them in any way. News about earthquakes and other natural disasters? Yes. News about the Colorado shootings? Not yet. Any advice? Care to share? :D I can open up a new thread...

My kids have Gmail accounts and I set up Google Reader feeds for them each. It includes several Lego blogs, the amazing blog The Kid Should See This, the Happy Scientist's Science Photo of the Day, a cooking blog, a crafty blog, the blog of a family we know who moved away to live on a boat... It's all stuff like that though. I didn't put news in there, but they do bring me things they saw on there - mostly about Legos :tongue_smilie: such as in this case, but also about science and other stuff occasionally. It is nice to have them tell me about things instead of the other way around. I looked for a good news one and there was one from National Geographic I think? but at the time it was too much reading for them so I skipped it - now it would probably be fine and I should add it if I can figure out what it was.

My boys are slightly older. At your children's age, they enjoyed making their creations using ideas from these books as inspiration:

The LEGO Technic Idea Book: Wheeled Wonders

The LEGO Technic Idea Book: Fantastic Contraptions

The LEGO Technic Idea Book: Simple Machines

We bought our boys 2nd hand LEGO gears and technic parts from our local LEGO User Group annual "yard sale".

Oh, AWESOME! Thank you!

My kids have Gmail accounts and I set up Google Reader feeds for them each. It includes several Lego blogs, the amazing blog The Kid Should See This, the Happy Scientist's Science Photo of the Day, a cooking blog, a crafty blog, the blog of a family we know who moved away to live on a boat... It's all stuff like that though. I didn't put news in there, but they do bring me things they saw on there - mostly about Legos :tongue_smilie: such as in this case, but also about science and other stuff occasionally. It is nice to have them tell me about things instead of the other way around. I looked for a good news one and there was one from National Geographic I think? but at the time it was too much reading for them so I skipped it - now it would probably be fine and I should add it if I can figure out what it was.

Thanks! I think I will investigate this further, at least for my oldest.